Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot remove a child account from PC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 reggiereg

reggiereg

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:00 AM

I'm getting so frustrated trying to set up windows 10 for parental control, i've decided to delete the child account and start again.

Ive decided to take this action, because, whatever I did, on the "settings/manage family settings online",the child account kept the adult in the family, but when i went to the adult, account  "settings/manage family settings online", the child was gone.

I also cannot seem to get rid of the child in the settings/ your family (Local settings) even though ive deleted the child account on my machine.

I'm so frustrated, and totally stuck!

Please help,

Kind regards,

Reggie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:00 PM

I don't follow everything you said, but can't you just go to the Control Panel's User Accounts applet with your ID and delete that child's account?

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

I've decided to add another child to my account, because I cannot get rid (in windows settings/family and other users) of the other child account, I have already added.

1) I opened a new microsoft account

2) I added a new family member (child) using the new microsoft account details i'd just set up

3) I accepted the invitation to join the family

BUT my settings/accounts/my family says this child is pending (as below), thus I can not control its screen time.

Pending-640x475.jpg

I'm very frustrated, i just cannot get this to work.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:26 AM

I would edit your post and delete or alter the image to not show your email as people can now use it to spam you.

#5 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

It's not my email, I got the image from the Web ☺

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,588 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

Okay, did you login with your account or with the child's account?

See this Microsoft page.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/child-account-not-linking/0a74069b-9ead-4b74-8290-92b7abb05eb2

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 March 2016 - 10:33 AM.

#7 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

My account to setup the screentime, and websites allowed; then my child's account to test. In my account the child account says pending.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,588 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:42 AM

Just to confirm, according to the link the child needs their own email address account with Microsoft. You add the child's email address and then login to the child's email account to accept the invite. The email address you used when adding the child was the child's email address, correct?

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:22 AM

Just to confirm, according to the link the child needs their own email address account with Microsoft. You add the child's email address and then login to the child's email account to accept the invite. The email address you used when adding the child was the child's email address, correct?

If your child does not have an email address there is an option to set up the child account using YOUR email address.

When you go to Settings/Accounts/Family and other users the first screen is where you can add a family member.

Choosing that option will then show a screen where you choose add an adult or a child.

Ticking child will then show a link for The person I want to add doesn't have an email address.

Clicking that link allows the parent to use the parent email instead. Click Use your email instead

Now to address pending status.
Did you set the child account up with the child's email address? JohnC is correct that you have to sign into the child's email account and accept the invite.

I don't know what the procedure is if you use the parent's email address.

#10 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:33 PM

I've signed into the child's email account and accepted the invite, but it's, still pending in Windows 10/ settings/accounts/family & other users.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

I found this http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/child-account-not-linking/0a74069b-9ead-4b74-8290-92b7abb05eb2?auth=1

It's worth trying.

go to account.microsoft.com/family and log in with your child's MSA? You should be able to confirm whether the child successfully joined a family and, if not yours, you'll be able to see who.

It is possible that when you accepted the invite with the child MSA you were signed in to account.microsoft.com/family with a different parent account and mistakenly added the child to that family instead of your own.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 March 2016 - 03:53 PM.

#12 reggiereg

reggiereg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:47 AM

Hi Queen-Evie,

There's two places i'm looking at to manage these settings in both the adult and child account.

1) Online, logged in to the respective child or adult Microsoft account

2) Offline/local settings, via the start/settings/family and other users

logging into both child and adult Microsoft account all looks tickety boo, and I even got the weekly report emailed to my adult email.

Both accounts family settings are pointing to the correct child/adult.

However:

a)  Windows Offline/local settings in the adult account, still say CHILD PENDING, even though the child has accepted the invitation to join the family, emails have bounced back an forth, in both adult and child email accounts saying invited/accepted/joined......

B) When logged into the adult online Microsoft account, I cannot see any search content, app usage, etc, even though ive been into the child account and used apps and used the internet.

c) in the child account, I don't seem to be able to use google, via microsoft IE, even though i've set it to allow via: https://account.microsoft.com/family#/settings/web-browsing

It just doesn't make sense, the discrepancy between online and local settings. I'm thinking buggy software!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users