Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touch Pad Technology Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:25 AM

I want to understand the rationale behind recent touch pad driver technology.  On my last four laptops, I consistently have problems with overly sensitive settings, Windows 7 on all but one computer, which was shipped with W10 but I installed W7 on it.  I have had computers with both Elan and Synaptics drivers. 

What happens every time is at first I will notice that the sensitivity is set way too low.  As I move the pointer over links,  it grabs onto those links and executes them, opening pages, closing pages, executing internet page functions (I don't know how to describe this...on Flickr (where I spend a lot of time) there are areas on the page that if clicked will go to the next page...if I just pass my pointer over these areas without doing anything else, it often goes to that next page.)  If the focus sits on say an open or close TAB it will do just that without me clicking the mouse.  As I move the pointer over pictures on a page, I see them quiver, as the device seems to be grabbing onto them.

And it's not just the internet.  If I move the pointer over the menu bar in Paint Shop Pro, it sometimes grabs onto the whole bar and removes it.

I've gone into the device settings and disabled all the tapping/scrolling features and rere duced sensitivity settings to a minimum.

Are these problems I am having typical?  Are they desired features?  The way I work, I can't see how they would benefit anybody, but I am not big on newest technology, don't use touch screen devices, do not own a tablet, etc.  I basically want my touch pad to allow me to navigate but take no action unless I click the mouse.

Are there any alternative drivers available that will return this system on my laptop to the most basic of functions as I have described here?

Is it even possible to get my computer to function more like the year 2000 than today?  Am I having these problems because the software is designed to be used with touchscreen technology?

I want to understand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:09 AM

My opinion of touchpads is that they're masochistic devices designed by evil demons.   :halloween: Over the years I've managed to get proficient enough to get things done with them when I have no alternative, but on my personal laptops my touchpads are disabled.  I carry a Bluetooth mouse I use with my newest laptop and a small USB mouse with me when not at home.  Bottom line: get a real mouse and disable that touchpad!

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:49 AM

Sounds like a plan but there are times when using my mouse is impractical.  I found one other person in the universe of the same mind set as me.  I tried his solution and it didn't work for me, but then I have a different model puter.  Since I despise all those features and disable everything I can, the thought struck me that perhaps the problem is that certain features are activated in hidden folders.  Let me explain.  I have the Elan drivers and there are fine tune adjustments on many of the features.  I didn't realize that I could get into them as they are accessed via a small icon.  Anyway, since I turn off everything, I am wondering if I first need to go in and uncheck boxes before disabling everything.  I sure can't figure it out and in this current state, my computer is extremely difficult to use.

I would like to know if some of the issues might be that the drivers are also used on touch screen, or if that requires a separate unique driver.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:00 PM

The manufacturers approach was a bit over zealous in most cases.  It was an outgrowth of the little knob in the middle of the laptop keyboards.  An easier way resulted in the touch pad.  I hate the things, I always look for the keyboard function key to turn it off and use a USB mouse instead.  I kept brushing a shirt cuff across it while typing and the cursor would go off to never-neverland.  They are prone to being too sensitive and greasey fingers can lock a cursor in one location.  Dirt and debris can block cursor movement and even render the function unusable.  The finger strike to active or open files and programs can get strange and leave files in strange places while saving files or just moving them.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:05 PM

I would never use a touchpad driver I didn't get from my laptop's manufacturer.  Same goes for everything on a laptop because almost all parts on them are proprietary.  Even if the brand of some device looks standard, you don't know how the manufacturer has modified it.  I've never been in a place where I couldn't use a USB mouse with a laptop, but I guess it's a possibility.  Even on my sofa I can grab a TV tray or just put a mouse pad on top of my keyboard when the need arises.  It might be cumbersome, but it always works for me.

Good luck.

#6 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:31 AM

I guess what I am really wondering is this...are there people who are comfortable with this device as is?  Even people who PREFER this?  With my particular style of typing (my thumbs touch the pad a bit too often while typing, relocating the pointer to somewhere else on the document or page) and I can't seem to find the right controls to minimize the sensitivity.  Are a majority of people content with how it works, and if not, and we spoke up, wouldn't the developers be inclined to make the hardware more user friendly?  I am stunned that such a dysfunctional system seems to be a standard.

Thanks for the info on sticking with the manufacturer's drivers, Niweg.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

I have seen many users who have become quite adept with the touch pads.  Over the years I've had to work on some units that had quite different mouse/devices attached.  At one time I really enjoyed using a trackball but others found it cumbersome.  If your unit only has a touch pad, a little patience and maybe like me, roll up your cuffs, or bring along a simple $5. mouse.

#8 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:24 AM

Yes, I do have a mouse.  At times, though it is just inconvenient and the touch pad is perfect.

What I'm trying to understand is WHY.  My settings are impossible.  As I move the pointer over links, it opens them.  If it sits on a object like open a link, it executes.  In one of my programs, it actually pulls a menu bar off the top of the page.  I can't see how this would be useful for anybody and if so why they continue to install it on laptops.

I've tried tweaking the Elan settings and nothing seems to help. 

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:09 AM

Yes, I do have a mouse.  At times, though it is just inconvenient and the touch pad is perfect.

What I'm trying to understand is WHY.  My settings are impossible.  As I move the pointer over links, it opens them.  If it sits on a object like open a link, it executes.  In one of my programs, it actually pulls a menu bar off the top of the page.  I can't see how this would be useful for anybody and if so why they continue to install it on laptops.

I've tried tweaking the Elan settings and nothing seems to help. 

I suspect that folks who use nothing but the touchpad aren't touch typists.  I am a touch typist and parts of my hand almost continuously touch and cause the wierd kinds of things you describe.  If you're a hunt & peck typist, you might not have that problem.  One guy here at BC said his wife uses nothing but the touchpad because she sits on a couch with her laptop.  It's just different strokes depending on who you are.  Some folks do things others of us don't understand.  Try driving around in a large city area if you want all kinds of examples!   :crazy: E.g. why do some people making turns hit their brakes well before giving a turn signal?  Don't they know the turn signal is to tell folks what they're GOING to do?  I'm sure you've seen many other examples.

Edited by Niweg, 19 March 2016 - 10:18 AM.

#10 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

I do use the computer while sitting on the couch at times, and the touch pad is my device of choice for that situation.  The controls are so bad that I am unable to use the computer with the touchpad.  It closes pages, opens pages, and seems to be hypersensitive when I move the pointer over anything that is a link to something else, like photos in Flickr.  I am a touch typer and am constantly touching the pad with the tip of my thumb.  It highlights text, deletes, and moves the focus to other areas on the document.  But even without typing, just using the Internet, I have so many issues!  When I have my photo editing program open, and I move the pointer across the row of menus at the top, it grabs them and pulls it off its fixed position  

Only using a mouse isn't working so well for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users