Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

6 years of storage gone??? :(

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Puppysavvy

Puppysavvy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:27 AM

My illiterate knowledge in the fine arts of Windows7 sent my toshiba satellite laptop back to time, circa 2009.....I mistook the term " systems recovery" for " "lost data/ crash report recovery" in which, 20 minutes later I was frantically inputting random data, waving my manic wand with every ENTER NEXT , falling deeper into a hole I couldn't figure how to back out so I hoed for the best - abbara caddabra .......u know what happens, all of my 6 years of photos, data etc. gone??? There's gotta b a way to recover right? I know, after every RETURN it promised me my unsaved data will be lost, but I didn't believe that we're true.....after all, ive encountered every common error known to my devices but they always managed to pull me through whatever mess I got into. Did I cross a pn area of no return this time? I know it defeats the whole recovery restore process, but how can I reverse the action?? Don't laugh!!! All I want back are a opulent of photos of my past beloved best friend max, my yorkie baby.
Then I'll look for a orum to ask what essential program's etc do I dem essential to my naked PC? Someone personalised it for me, I am clueless, but eager to learn. I've never ever posted questions to a forum, thanks to all for their time in advance. I hope I'm not repeating a common question, wasting ur time.

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2016 - 04:12 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:54 AM

Just read your post , and if im correct in your report , you have done a System Recovery.

Yes this will return the Laptop to what it was originally as purchased and wipe the drive.

Firstly if you wish to try and recover the files , you should STOP ! using the Laptop as data is being written over and the chances become less.

1/ You will have to remove the Hard Drive from the laptop and slave it to another Laptop or { Desktop preferably}.

A desktop should have available Sata Cables within to connect to. 

2/ With the Desktop PC you can install Recuva from    https://www.piriform.com/recuva   and then scan the Laptop Drive for everything - or just select Pictures on the selection Grid.

It is not advisible to use Recuva installed on the Laptop - as this limits it success of retrieving the files if any.

Edited by Havachat, 16 March 2016 - 06:00 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

Unfortunately, if you used the system recovery partition the C: drive was formatted and Windows installed again.  This means that everything on the drive was reverted back to the condition it was in when it was started the first time. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:59 AM

dc3, question for ya:  ?is the only very slim shot thread starter has:  IF Windows did not do a full-complete format but only a Quick Format, an incredibly expensive process of having a data recovery person [who KNOWS DR like BC knows computers] hunt up whatever can be recovered?  It looks like thread starter did not make full image backups; without restorable backups, most if not all of 6 years is probably gone for good.

Edited by RolandJS, 16 March 2016 - 10:00 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:01 AM

Havachat's suggestion is worth trying.  Even though the drive was formatted, Recuva is able to piece together some of the things that were on the drive because formatting doesn't write over the sectors where your data could've been on.  Some of it will have been overwritten by the refreshed system, but some likely wasn't.  So Recuva can probably get some of your stuff back if you're lucky.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $55 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

A format does not remove the data, it removes the address tables.  So technically the data is still there.  But the recovery partition overwrites the partition when it reinstalls Windows, or at the very least a very large portion of the C: partition.  At this point it doesn't matter what type of format has been used, enough of the partition where the data resided is now either overwritten or the data is so fragmented that recovering the data is a crap shoot.  But then again, you could just get incredibly lucky.  But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Recuva is good software for this, but I would also suggest trying EaseUs Data Recovery Wizard

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:25 PM

TestDisk is a more powerful, but also more difficult to use tool that may also be able to recover some of your data.

As said before, stop using the pc until you have completed your recovery process. Every file you create may be destroying your old files.

#8 Puppysavvy

Puppysavvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:04 PM

I'll give ease us data recovery a try I suppose...I haven't turned on the laptop yet in hopes of finding some help like this.....so dad considering I have like, 10 USB's tons of floppys. I feel DUMB. But I'm learning. Thx all for ur replies

#9 Puppysavvy

Puppysavvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

All of these replies claim to nozpt us my pc in ruining more of a chance to recover however is ok to open the recovery website? I need it to use the EASEUS DATA RECOVERY? Anyone have an experience using these guys? It's pricy but don't care

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

No, it's important to not use the drive at all. Every time you start Windows, data is written to the drive, and when you go online more files are being saved to the drive. These new files will write over the original contents you hope to recover. Use another computer to organize any recovery process you want to use.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:31 AM

The safest thing to do is to remove the hard drive, put it in a $20 enclosure, plug it into a USB port on a working computer, and try the recovering attempt(s) there.  Since I always keep full system backups to external drives, I've never had to use Recuva or any of the above mentioned tools, so I don't know if any of them have stand alone bootable versions or not.  If they do, you could use that instead of having to boot Windows on that laptop (which you don't want to do as has been said).

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users