Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which HD Tool should I believe?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 devilus

devilus

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:30 AM

There are 435 reallocated sectors on my Seagate HDD. I think, this HDD doesn't perform as well as before. So I tried some tools:

Passmark Disk Checkup: No problem.

HW Info: No problem.

HD Sentinel: Health 19%.

Crystal Disk Info: Caution!

PC Wizard 2013: Health 83%.

HD Tune: Health tab with some yellow lines. etc.etc.

Which one should I believe?

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

Vista Ultimate SP2 32bit, installed 2008, Samsung HD502HJ (500GB, SATA)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, installed 2016, Samsung 850 EVO (120GB, SSD)

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, installed 2018, Intel 320 (120GB, SSD)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:36 AM

Seagate SeaTools for Windows is the one you should believe.

#3 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:11 AM

Seagate SeaTools for Windows is the one you should believe.

I've already tried both SeaTools for DOS and SeaTools for Windows. They don't report any problem: PASSED!

I am not sure if it really is.

Self-built PC, Lian-Li PC-A70B, GA-EX38-DS5, Intel Core 2 Duo 3GHz, Leadtek 9600GT, Kingston 4GB DDR2, Enermax Galaxy 850W

Selective boot (F12):

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:30 AM

Hi,

I've already tried both SeaTools for DOS and SeaTools for Windows. They don't report any problem: PASSED!

After reallocating the bad sectors the drive can pass the tests but if I was you I would not trust the drive, you should make regular backups of your data because there is a big chance on emerging new bad sectors.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

Seagate drives have had much greater failure rates the last couple of years.  I had a Dell desktop with a Seagate hard drive to die after 2.5 years last summer.  And I've read where they can pass the Seatools diagnostics when there are still problems.  Personally I'm avoiding Seagates all together in favor of HGST or WD.  YMMV.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

Hard Disk Sentinel would be my choice (paid version) and it provides a lot more data that just disk health.  I'd take a look at the SMART data reported.

A 19% reported for disk health...is pretty abysmal and may indicate numerous bad sectors, loose connections, and other problems.  A look at the SMART data would provide some focus on why the reported disk health is so very low.

I would run the chkdsk /r command and then take a look at reported disk health.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2016 - 05:17 PM.

#7 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:28 AM

Hi,

After reallocating the bad sectors the drive can pass the tests but if I was you I would not trust the drive, you should make regular backups of your data because there is a big chance on emerging new bad sectors.

You're right. I already do backups.

Seagate drives have had much greater failure rates the last couple of years.  I had a Dell desktop with a Seagate hard drive to die after 2.5 years last summer.  And I've read where they can pass the Seatools diagnostics when there are still problems.  Personally I'm avoiding Seagates all together in favor of HGST or WD.  YMMV.

Good luck.

My Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 is 7 years old now. I have a Samsung Spinpoint on the shelf waiting for being installed. I just want to be sure that the Seagate one is about dying.

Hard Disk Sentinel would be my choice (paid version) and it provides a lot more data that just disk health.  I'd take a look at the SMART data reported.

A 19% reported for disk health...is pretty abysmal and may indicate numerous bad sectors, loose connections, and other problems.  A look at the SMART data would provide some focus on why the reported disk health is so very low.

I would run the chkdsk /r command and then take a look at reported disk health.

Louis

Yes, the 19% seems very bad. Unfortunately I don't have the paid version. Fortunately I don't have any problems other than slow startup. (I ran chkdsk. It says "0 Kb in bad sectors".)

Thanks to everyone for all the support.

Selective boot (F12):

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:15 AM

What version of Windows are you running?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download GSmartControl and run it.

When GSmartControl opens it scans your computer for all mass storage devices.  When the scan is finished it will display all of the drives found.  Double click on the drive which contains your operating system.

In the next window that opens the Identity tab is selected which displays all of the data pertaining to your drive.

gsmartcontrol1_zps8bkdopna.png 

Click on the Perform Tests tab.  When the next window opens select the Short Self-Test, then click on Execute.

When the scan has completed it will show that the drive either passed or failed.  If it failed click on the View Ouput.  Copy the text and paste this in your topic.

gsmartcontrol2_zpso1blptuk.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:35 AM

Sorry, but there is a lot of personal info when sharing the Speccy Snapshot. I added some screenshots below:

Attached File  Speccy_Summary_cr.jpg   65.62KB   0 downloads      Attached File  Speccy_cr.jpg   142.62KB   0 downloads

Attached File  GSmartControl_Short_Self_Test_cr.jpg   81.11KB   0 downloads  Attached File  GSmartControl_Attributes_cr.jpg   122.16KB   0 downloads  Attached File  GSmartControl_Error_Log_cr.jpg   91.43KB   0 downloads

Selective boot (F12):

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:10 AM

I would not buy into certain diagnostic tools as they can give you false positives. Personally I would just buy a USB thumb drive and pop a Linux Distribution on it and use one of its tools. Only reason why I suggest this is that Linux does have more diagnostic tools that one can use without worrying about reports done by dubious software

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:34 AM

I would not buy into certain diagnostic tools as they can give you false positives. Personally I would just buy a USB thumb drive and pop a Linux Distribution on it and use one of its tools. Only reason why I suggest this is that Linux does have more diagnostic tools that one can use without worrying about reports done by dubious software

I tried several ones as well. In form of a Multiboot flash drive or Live CD's.

Otherwise I usually run different softwares if a portable version is available, just to see what they would report.

Selective boot (F12):

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

Sorry, but there is a lot of personal info when sharing the Speccy Snapshot. I added some screenshots below:

The first image you see when you start the Speccy Snapshot is similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

At that point, if you click on Operating System it will show the Windows key and the Windows Office key if you have Office installed.  But when you publish the Snapshot these areas do not show their content unless you click on Operating System before you publish the Snapshot.  If you stick to the instructions as they are provided you will not have this problem.

There is a forum titled Tests and Scribbles where you can post your Speccy Snapshot and see exactly what is seen in the Snapshot.

From what I have seen it does look like you need to replace the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:09 AM

Sorry, but there is a lot of personal info when sharing the Speccy Snapshot. I added some screenshots below

From what I have seen it does look like you need to replace the hdd.

Thanks for your help. I think I'll do it ASAP.

A last question: What about my Vista license when migrating the whole HDD to a new one using Paragon? Any possible problems with (re-)activation?

Selective boot (F12):

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:22 AM

If you have used Paragon to make a clone of you operating system when it was still trouble free and it contains the System Reserved partition you should be fine.  I personally have not used Paragon, but from what I just read it would appear to be capable of doing this job.

The one thing I would be concerned about is file corruption due to the bad sectors on the hdd.  If you have missing or corrupt files when you made the copy of the operating system these files will produce the same problems when you use the cloned copy to install the operating system.

#15 devilus

devilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

Actually there are still no corrupted or missing system files, as far as I know. But who knows what happens after migration?

Thanks again.

Selective boot (F12):

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users