Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP doesn't load and boot cycles over and over

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 consigliere1975

consigliere1975

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:14 PM

I am posting from my phone using voice to text so please bear with me. Here is what I was doing prior to being unable to load windows:
I was ripping one of my DVDs into an MP4 file using a software from brorsoft. I have been using this software for about a year. It crashes once in a while but other than that never has created any system issues.
After I downloaded AVG antivirus when I thought I had a virus and then turned out that it was not a virus I had trouble removing the AVG antivirus here's where the problem started.
I tried uninstalling AVG antivirus in safe mode but an error occurred so I'm not quite sure if the uninstall completed successfully. After that I have not been able to load windows and whenever I restart my computer it crashes just prior to loading windows XP and restarts the boot cycle over and over again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

Tap F8 at boot and select Disable Auto-Startup on System Failure. Reboot and see what error if any is shown on the Blue Screen if there is one. You may also want to try "Use Last Known Good Configuration" in the Advanced Boot Options.

#3 consigliere1975

consigliere1975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:15 AM

I couldn't locate an option to disable auto start up after system failure after pressing F8. Last known configuration option failed. Attached is the image I get after the system recovery feature starts automatically.Thank you for your reply.

Attached Files

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

Can you still access Safe Mode? If you can then download the AVG removal tool and run it in safe mode. I think this error is due to a AVG driver that you tried uninstalling but I can't be completely sure. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 March 2016 - 07:39 AM.

#5 consigliere1975

consigliere1975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:13 PM

Attached File  1603170008 Vaio PC crash pic.jpg   12.58KB   0 downloads

I can no longer access safe mode except with command prompt with which I ran the Restore option but after a reboot an error would later advise that the restoration had not completed successfully. This is an older VAIO PC model PCV-RZ50CG with Windows XP Media Center 2005. The internal HDD has a PATA/IDE interface. At this point, I may consider the option of migrating the data using a PATA/SATA/USB adapter. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts. Here is an earlier screenshot of the initial symptoms when Windows would not load and PC would reboot endlessly. As soon as this screen would appear, the screen would flicker a few times and then crash.

#6 consigliere1975

consigliere1975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:18 PM

Attached File  IMG_2387.JPG   199.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_2387.JPG   199.5KB   0 downloads

Not sure if prior pic came out with the intended resolution. Trying again. Thanks.

#7 consigliere1975

consigliere1975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:28 PM

Still not sure if prior pic is accessible. At any rate, your guess about Windows failing to load driver may not be far off since the computer seems to crash when trying to load the windows\system32\drivers\agp440.sys file at which point the PC experiences the symptoms previously mentioned. This is obviously my non-PC-tech interpretation of the situation anyways for what it's worth. Thanks again.

#8 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:26 AM

If nothing else works then I would recommend reinstalling XP but be warned that this will erase all data on your hard drive but it may solve your problem but anyways if you can still access safe mode then back up all data on like an external hard drive or Google Drive or something except for the AVG related stuff and you should be good to go. Keep in mind that if you are using the Google Drive method then you will need to use Safe Mode with Networking rather than just Safe Mode itself. Anyways good luck on trying to fix the PC.

Also next time instead of AVG download Malwarebytes. It is one of the best Antivirus software's that I used and it works on Windows XP.

Edited by hamluis, 17 March 2016 - 04:24 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:59 AM

Pull the hard drive and attach to another computer via an external enclosure or USB adapter. Pull the data then on the host computer install AutoRuns. Start AutoRuns and then in the menu bar select offline system and point it to your attached hard drive. Do a search for anything AVG related and uncheck the box next to it. This will disable the AVG services and drivers. Replace the hard drive and see if the computer boots.

See this guide.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/analyze-offline-system-autoruns-feature/

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

FWIW:  Malwarebytes is NOT an antivirus program and has never claimed to be such.  You can visit their website to check it out, if you like.

Louis

#11 DianeEsk

DianeEsk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:23 AM

I am having the same issue due to different circumstances...should I post here or start a new thread?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

Each topic reflects one person with one or more problems on the same system.  Start a topic if you have issues with your system, please.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users