Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jamjamnewbie

jamjamnewbie

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:36 PM

This is from a friend laptop, Asus X-550LN I think.
I can access the bios, but after that it just goes to a balck screen with a blinking underscore
I tried to boot USB from windows 8 installer custom install, but it says "No drives found", so I did a linux mint install but when booting, it shows " Minimal Bash-like command line" or something like that
The only thing I want to do is reformat windows 8.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:02 PM

Does UEFI detect your hard drive? For Booting Mint on a computer pre-installed with Windows 8 I believe you need to disable SecureBoot. Also check if Fastboot is disabled in UEFI.

How did you create the install media? Did you use the Media Creation Tool here

You can also try the following to get to Advanced Repair Options.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.
  7. Select Refresh your PC if you do not wish to erase data, or Reset your PC to erase all data and restore the system.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete recovery.

#3 jamjamnewbie

jamjamnewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

The hard Drive is listed in UEFI. Secure Boot is disabled, I dont know anything about Fastboot

I just found a ISO for Win 8.1 and put it via Rufus.

I will try the advances options later

#4 jamjamnewbie

jamjamnewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:51 PM

The hard Drive is listed in UEFI. Secure Boot is disabled, I dont know anything about Fastboot

I just found a ISO for Win 8.1 and put it via Rufus.

I will try the advances options later

Edit: If I try the media creation tool, can i reformat ONLY C: Drive?

Edit: I cannot do the advanced options as I cannot get to the rotating thing, i am stuck at the looping underscore

Edited by jamjamnewbie, 16 March 2016 - 05:04 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,610 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:41 AM

May I ask why you want to only format C:? Do you need to pull data from the hard drive?

#6 jamjamnewbie

jamjamnewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:00 AM

my friend has some of his important files in D:, but if it cant be really helped, he is fine with it

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,610 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:39 AM

Use Rufus with FatDog64 to create a bootable USB flash drive. If Fatdog64 boots to the desktop you should see your hard drive partitions in the lower left of the desktop labeled sda1...sda2...sda3 depending on the number of partitions. "D" partition may be labeled sda4 for Windows 8 but I am not sure. Click once on the sdaX partition and it will mount. A File Manager Window will open. If you do not see the data files then close out he File Manager and click on another sdaX partition.

Copying files with Fatdog is a little different. Attach a USB external drive and a USB icon will appear next to your hard drive partitions or optical drive. Click once on it and a File Manager will open. Drag and move the hard drive partition File Manager and USB external drive File Manager until they are side by side. Highlight your data files/folders by holding the Ctrl key + left clicking or by left click and dragging a window around the files/folders. Left click drag the highlighted folders from the data partition File Manager to the external USB drive File Manager. A small dialog window will appear. Select Copy, not Move, and click the quiet box.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-702.iso

I believe tapping Esc or F8 at boot with the USB flash drive of Fatdog attached will bring up a boot menu where you can select the boot device.

#8 jamjamnewbie

jamjamnewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

There were sda, sdb, sdb1, and sdb2

Only sdb has files which is the USB

And the others showed up blank

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,610 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

That may be because of Windows 8 hybrid shutdown which prevents the mounting of the partition or if a Windows Live Account is used to login to the computer, the data may be encrypted. 

At this point I thing you have to reinstall 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool. You may be able to pull the data on the drive by attaching it to another Windows computer using an external enclosure or USB adapter but I can't say that will work. There is also Hirens which has miniXP but you would need to change your UEFI to Legacy or CSM boot if Rufus would not boot Hirens using MBR partition scheme with UEFI.

http://us.informatiweb.net/tutorials/it/1-articles/60--hiren-boot-cd-mini-windows-xp.html

Edit: You can try installing only to the C: Partition but you need to delete two smaller partitions, the EFI partition and the Windows Reserved Partition. These should be located before the C: Windows Partition. You would delete them by clicking the link as shown in this Window.

Because the computer was pre-installed with Windows 8 the key is embedded in firmware. When at the Window where it asks for a key click next without entering a key. If the Window will not let you click Next without entering a key use one of these keys depending on your Windows 8.1 versions. These are generic keys.

Windows 8.1 (Not Pro): 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT 
Windows 8.1 Pro: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB 

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 March 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#10 jamjamnewbie

jamjamnewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:28 AM

my friend have decided to sacrifice his files and i just did a advanced options->cmd->clean diskpart and its all good, its installing now

thanks

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,610 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

Your Welcome, glad you knew about the clean command of diskpart. Thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users