Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installer request doesn't seem right

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 how_word

how_word

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

I did a scan of my system with Norton.

(1) When the computer restarted there was a "Windows Installer" request "Preparing to install..."

(2) Then another window popup : 'User Account Control'

"Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?

C:\windows\Installer\6ca96d.msi

Origin:

Hard Drive on this Computer

Alex Fauland

C:\windows\installer\6ca96d.msi

(3)

When I choose 'no' the same window reopens, it freezes/greys my desktop and I only have the options to accept or not, again, behind/under that is a smaller window

A.F. 9 Replace some bytes 1.5

Preparing to install...

It seems if I choose 'no' three times then it stops requesting, until I restart my computer again.

Under
Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features
 lists 'A.F.9. Replace some bytes 1.2'
I am unfamiliar with this program and don't remember adding it to my computer.
When I right click to Uninstall,
"Are you sure you want to uninstall A.F.9. Replace some bytes 1.2?"
I choose Yes, and the installer popup opens":
'Windows Installer'  'Preparing to remove...'
And I get the same User Account Control as (1) above asking me to install the program.

I don't remember installing this program.

I don't know what it is for.

Do I need to chose "Install" in order to "Uninstall"?

Grateful for advice.

Edited by how_word, 15 March 2016 - 07:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

Install REVO UNINSTALLER

You will find the program name (A.F.9 Replace Some Bytes 1.2) in the list.

Double click it to begin uninstallation.....then select Advanced ......then simply follow the prompts.

When it lists the leftover registry items, Select ALL....and delete......same for any other leftover items.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 how_word

how_word
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

I had REVO Uninstaller on my machine (I once tried to remove a program called YAC cleaner, which Revo did an imcomplete job of.)

So I reinstalled REVO, in case there is a new version.

I clicked to remove AF9RSB, REVO started to do it's job, but again there is the pop up window asking that I install AF9RSB, which I declined, etc. and REVO seemed to be stalled a long time, but while I was typing this,  the 'next' button eventually became available and REVO scanned for leftover AF9RSB items.

Condobloke: "When it lists the leftover registry items, Select ALL...and delete"

'Found leftover Registry items' shows a tree diagram of my computer with bolded items (parts of AF9RSB I assume). If I Select All at this point every part of my computer, including 'My Computer' not just the bold AF9RSB parts, are ticked and won't those parts also be deleted, too? Sorry doctor, I just don't feel safe taking that pill.

So I ticked the embolden items and clicked Delete.
Then on 'Found leftover files and folders' I selected all and deleted.

Thanks Condobloke, that seemed to do the job!

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:49 PM

"" but again there is the pop up window asking that I install AF9RSB""......this is actually the 'uninstall' window......it uses the same terminology/wording as the 'install' window........quite confusing !!

However, Revo has continued and uninstalled it all for you, without using the programs uninstaller at all.

The 'found leftover registry items' tree diagram. can have the 'select all' button selected safely....it wont wipe your pc. ( i have been using this for years and my pc is still in one piece)

Glad that helped.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users