Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing-Up with windows system Image...Windows-i-10

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:19 PM

I have tried/used several apps to create a back-up image for windows through now 10. I recently tried windows back-up app and was delighted. It did a fine recovery for me. Only thing is,,,I noticed the date does not change on next saved image. I think I am reading as it does really just change as needed old back-up and I am good to go,,,Correct??  I thought it would make a NEW entry every back-up,,,not so with mine. A bit confused,,,any and all advice will be much appreciated....Thanks...jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

Windows backup and restore  should show the latest backup and the next scheduled backup.

#3 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

I do not have scheduled backups. Just do it now and again. probably not the right way, but I just muddle along. Just was curious if it did really update the original backup without changint the date...I am speaking of the backup that is on my ext drive....Thanks...

#4 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

I do not have scheduled backups. Just do it now and again. probably not the right way, but I just muddle along. Just was curious if it did really update the original backup without changint the date...I am speaking of the backup that is on my ext drive....Thanks...

We there is only one system image level backup in Windows 10 that I know of.

I would look into the backup folders for the most current files and see what you find. The file in the root with the name of your computer might not change it's time stamp. Mine looks like it hasn't changed it's timestamp in a few months. It is scheduled though.

#5 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

I tried to open the image, but nothing al all ever shows up. It it hidden I guess. I just did another backup on a different hd and the date was correct. Understand tho, it had never had a windows image installed on it. ..Sure wish ther was a way to test it...Thanks...much appreciate your time...jim

#6 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:30 PM

Woe is me...I beg your pardon. I tried to open the ext HD in ? again and it ask for permission (Administer) and I letter rip and bingo...This attached clip is what I found. Seems to indeed update...Thanks again...I am at ease now...LOl

Attached Files

#7 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:31 PM

Pardon the multiple clip posting. I THOUGHT I was having problems...:)...Thanks...Much appreciated...jim

#8 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:02 AM

That`s interesting.  I never even considered (thought) about cloud. I will check into it. Thanks much...Jim

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

Personally I use Easeus Todo Backup Free to an external hard drive.  It's free for home use, and has served me well for 5-6 years.  You can use the cloud if you're just backing up a small amount of data, but be aware that it's very  s---l---o---w  if you have much to back up.  I like full system backups because I can set them up to run automatically, and they back up to an external USB 3 hard drive in about 15 minutes for approx 100 GB.  That way I can recover from just about anything that happens in short order.  That includes total hard drive failure, which I had to deal with last summer.  After physically replacing my failed HDD, I was back up and running normally in about 30 minutes with no lost data.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#10 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:12 PM

Personally I use Easeus Todo Backup Free to an external hard drive.  It's free for home use, and has served me well for 5-6 years.  You can use the cloud if you're just backing up a small amount of data, but be aware that it's very  s---l---o---w  if you have much to back up.  I like full system backups because I can set them up to run automatically, and they back up to an external USB 3 hard drive in about 15 minutes for approx 100 GB.  That way I can recover from just about anything that happens in short order.  That includes total hard drive failure, which I had to deal with last summer.  After physically replacing my failed HDD, I was back up and running normally in about 30 minutes with no lost data.

Good luck.

This is very interesting....I did/may still do have an Easeus acct. Seems like I had some issues with understanding all the ins and outs of it. My old USB ports are only 2.0. Time isn`t really all that important, so slow might work for me. I have been wondering what all would be involved in installing backuped image on new drive. The physical part I am ok with,,,just how to set it to install from,,,say any app. Seems I sorta have a mental block. Maybe just too novice...:)...Thank you sir,,,I will sure check into it. I need to get a larger ext drive anyway,,,My home-brew from an old pc and my 1T are overworked....Thanks again...Jim...Much appreciate your advice....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users