Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Month Old Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 earl_harbo

earl_harbo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

Everything worked fine for about 4 weeks, lots of gaming, stable and low temps under load (low to mid 50s during heavy gaming). No overclocking (yet). Over the past week there were 1 or 2 times I thought I turned if off at night was running the next day Today I tried booting and got the bios splash screen but no boot into windows. I restarted, keyed into bios, changed an option, hit “save and restart” and it froze. I restarted and for the next Several boots I had blinking underscore cursor in upper left corner but no boot. Reset cmos chip, tried using 1 stick of ram in all of the slots, unplugged usb cables, get different results each time I power on. No longer get splash screen (except briefly for one boot after moving ram but couldn’t reproduce it). Getting different results each time. Most boots seem to have lost all video out.  I'm getting several different results each time I boot.  Here are some of the things that are happening:  

Stick on a temperature on the debug display (i.e. 35, 69, 10, 15, 36)  (this happens most times) and nothing happens

Code 00

Several times it would turn on for a few seconds, turn off, and then turn on again (every few times I try to boot)

Motherboard splash screen, then blank, error code 9C, then turns off (only one time)

I don’t know if it sounds more like a motherboard or PSU problem or something else. 

I’ll check the processor pins when I can get some thermal paste in the mail in a couple of days. 

Any ideas of what is going on? Does it sound like a power supply issue or the motherboard? Can I rule out the processor since it worked fine for a month? Next steps? 

I’d love to figure out which part is causing me the trouble so I can return/RMA new one.

Thanks!

MSI-Z97 Gaming 5
Intel Core i7-4790K w/ Corsair h100i GTX liquid cooler
MSI GTX 980 Ti
2 X 8 Gig Corsair Vengence Pro series
Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold CPU
Boot disc- Samsung 850 Evo-Series 500 GB SSD
2 X Seagate HDD 4TB (in Raid 1)
Win 10, 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:13 PM

Does it sound like a power supply issue or the motherboard?

Both. First, test the power supply; if any one of the rails has fluctuating voltages, that can cause the problems you describe. If the PS tests good, then test your video card. Swap with another, or if your mobo has integrated video remove the vid card and test with the onboard video. Newegg has PS testers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=power+supply+tester&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Rosewill is pretty good.

If you really want to find the problem, I suggest doing  a bench build testing each component as you go. Here is a guide, and if you follow this procedure you will eventually find your problem.

My gut feeling is that it is going to be a bad power supply or a bad motherboard.

I would suggest flashing the BIOS, but that may invalidate your warranty. If it does not, it would be worth a shot. I any event do not let your warranty expire before finding the problem.

[EDIT]:  I notice Rosewill has been getting some unhappy users, my Apevia is still going strong;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899161001&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Edited by ranchhand_, 15 March 2016 - 02:23 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 earl_harbo

earl_harbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

Thanks.  I've ordered the battery tester you suggested and have started the RMA process for the motherboard.  I'll test the battery and then maybe try the test bench process since I'll have to dismantle the motherboard to return it anyway.  Would you agree it's probably not the processor since my temps have been good and a bent pin wouldn't explain how it's worked fine for the past 4 weeks?

Thanks!

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:59 PM

The characteristics of a blown processor are:

>Computer will not POST (IOW, there is no POST screen)

>There is no system beep or keyboard recognition beep from the system speaker

>You cannot access the BIOS (of course, since it won't POST)

>All fans spin up, the power lamp on the mobo lights, any lights on the front panel illuminate, but there is no video, monitor is dark and computer is unresponsive

> If you have a laser mouse, the bulb lights but mouse is unresponsive (of course, since the monitor is dark).

Your problem does not sound like a blown processor, and in addition, CPUs rarely go out. Motherboards fail regularly. As a side thought, hold off on applying new thermal grease until you test everything else out. If thermal grease is mis-applied usually the computer overheats in a few seconds and simply shuts down. You are getting random errors that seem to have no pattern.

If you do a bench build, that will go a long way toward finding your problem.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users