Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowing Computer From Internet?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mojinko

Mojinko

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:31 PM

I have recently reformatted my computer and got most of my programs reinstalled, but a new problem has come around.

Whenever I start a download through Firefox, have not tried with internet explorer, but it probably has a similar effect, my computer slows down to the extent that my mouse can not even make smooth trails accross the screen. I recently also tried running a very low graphics online game that required a good connection to the other players, and it slowed my system down so the screen was messing up whenever I changed my view in the FPS game.

When I asked the people if I was lagging, they said I had a very low ping, one of the lowest in the game at the time, so I am convinced that it is my system that is having issues right now.

Edit: I just tried with explorer, it does not seem to have the download lag like firefox does. I am going to see if it is the download manager im using.
Edit2: I just tried using my torrent program, and my computer starts to hang when my downloads go anywhere near 100kb/s, whereas before I reformatted my computer could easily go at over 600kb/s without any hanging or disruption of other programs.

Edited by Mojinko, 01 August 2006 - 10:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:44 AM

Have you cleaned all the temp files on your computer?

Slow Computer?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

#3 Mojinko

Mojinko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

I have tried all of those, and the slugishness is only caused when I download alot of stuff at once from the internet, not just running offline programs or anything like that.

#4 kanbun

kanbun

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

Sounds like the connection, not the machine. Have you tried rebooting your modem? If you have a cable connection, you need to shut everything down, cut power to the modem, and wait a few minutes. Reconnect the modem and let it cycle thru and re-establish an IP address. Then, restart the computer and let it boot to the new IP. IP addresses get "stale" from time-to-time, and this might be your problem. If you have DSL, I don't know if the same process can help, but it seems like it would.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users