Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating Simple Dashboard Site - Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mattbirk

mattbirk

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:16 PM

Hello, 

so I want to create a basic, one page website that is basically a dashboard for when I wake up in the morning. What this dashboard will show is:

• Current time, weather for the day, temp, etc.
  • API for the public transportation - to display how many minutes the bus will arrive (I use CTA in Chicago)
  • Foscam - I have a camera which shows the bus stop that I want to embed. Link

This is basically just a fun project, and I am going to hook up a Raspberry Pi to a spare monitor and lave open the browser with this site.

First off, suggestions on a good way to do this? My web design skills are not strong, but this is simple, and seems more just embedding things. Any good template ideas? Basically, just like four large squares on the homepage to put these things in...

Would it be better to use WordPress or just build one static page? I have installed and setup WP before, so that's not an issue, though I haven't found a good theme that would suit this. 

Any other suggestions you may have? Design or other ideas to put on the dashboard? Like I said this is just a fun project that will also help me know how long I have to get ready before catching the next bus!

Thanks!

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:41 PM

I suggest a static page, because you can run it on your PC without any software: drop an HTML and CSS file into a directory and point the browser at it (file://C:/<your-folder>). At least for a beginning. You don't need something fancy like WP for what you are trying to do, and you will get more experience coding by hand anyway :)

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the response, I am going with the static page.

I have a  few questions.

1. I currently have this site embedded on my site in an iframe, not sure if that's the best way to do it, but is there a way to hard code the stop #? Also, I have an API provided by Chicago Transit Authority, but I'm not really a developer so not sure if it's of much use to me. I really just want to see one stop.

2. Any recommendations on an hourly weather widget? I like the layout of this one here but it's a five day, versus an hourly weather report.

Thanks again,

Matt

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:57 PM

Sorry about the late reply, missed this in the flood of notifications.

1. An iframe is defiantly the simplest way to do it. As for hardcoding the stop number, the site appears to use GET, so you can supply the parameter in the URL. Try adding "?id=<stop-number>" where <stop-number> is a placeholder for the stop number. (No quotes either).

2. Don't use those things so sorry but no :(

#5 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, adding the stop number worked as you described!

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:15 PM

Glad it did, I was kind of flying blind there :P

Let me know if you need anymore help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users