Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove thousands of "how_recover" files

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 barefootdreamers

barefootdreamers

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:52 PM

With Bleeping Computer's amazing help I have restored my files after CryptoVault! YAY!!  I have, however, been totally unsucessful at removing over 2,000 "how_recover" files it put on my computer.  Any suggestions?  I searched and found them all but even if I try to remove them one at a time it jams up my laptop. I went away for a few days and left it churning when it said it was "preparing to recycle" and it was still trying when I returned.  Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:11 PM

With the Recycle Bin temporarily disabled, EMCO Move On Boot will probably do the job.

MOB is somewhat geekish, so, if you download and install, take your time, "place" the delete command correctly, or you might accidentally delete more than what you want to delete.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:48 PM

The numerous ransom notes can be searched for and removed using a program like CCleaner’s Duplicate File Finder or one of several other Duplicate File Removers.

Renaming multiple files can be accomplished using a Batch or Bulk File Renaming Utility.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

you could also write a batch script to remove the notes: something like

>del *\how_recover* /q

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#5 barefootdreamers

barefootdreamers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

you could also write a batch script to remove the notes: something like

>del *\how_recover* /q

I am a TOTAL novice at this.  I tried that and it tells me the syntax is incorrect.  I have a "C" drive and an "I" drive. Can you tell me exactly what to type to remove the files named "how_recover"?  any help is appreciated :-)  I assume I would type this at the command prompt?

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:27 AM

You would type it at command prompt. Did you drop off the leading ">"? I simply use that at the start of lines to denote what should be types into the command prompt. It should not actually be types into the command prompt. That being said, there may be issues with the command still. I don't remember how windows handles wildcard characters (*).

#7 barefootdreamers

barefootdreamers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

Yes, I dropped the initial <.and haven't had any luck.  I also tried CCCleaner with no luck.  Thanks for trying and for the response!

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:56 PM

Might be a good way to do it with a FRST script but I don't think I'm allowed to post those until I've finished my training lol.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

Might be a good way to do it with a FRST script but I don't think I'm allowed to post those until I've finished my training lol.

And even then, FRST is not permitted in this forum.

#10 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

Heh, true that. What issues are you having with the CCleaner method?

#11 barefootdreamers

barefootdreamers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:30 AM

Heh, true that. What issues are you having with the CCleaner method?

I have run CCCleaner 4 times and each time it did locate the how_recover files...12,888 of them!  I asked it to remove every instance but it will, by default, leave 1 of each file.  When I ran it the other 3 times it did the same thing.  It finds fewer each time but I cannot get rid of them all.  The how_recover file seems to be in almost every program and document in several places. I then went to the search function in Windows and it still finds over 2,000 of the file which is the number it originally found, before CCCleaner.  I am a senior on a pension but I think I'm going to have to start saving for a new computer.  I have been battling this since December and am getting pretty discouraged.  It sure doesn't help that I am not very computer literate in a lot of areas of knowledge, I just know how to run my basic programs and Photoshop. Thanks for the response Junior, I'll continue to try to find solutions while I'm saving my $'s  :-)

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:10 AM

Did you try any of the other free Duplicate File Removers?

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:04 AM

With the Recycle Bin temporarily disabled, EMCO Move On Boot will probably do the job.  MOB is somewhat geekish, so, if you download and install, take your time, "place" the delete command correctly...

Before you give up on your computer, please have a local computer guru you trust try the above Emco's Move on Boot [which includes Delete on boot].  I have used this utility, in regular Windows and in Windows' safe mode.  While I cannot guarantee success for your computer, it's worth a shot before you spend your hard-won monies on a replacement computer.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the response Junior, I'll continue to try to find solutions while I'm saving my $'s :-)

Have you tried Quietman and Ronald's suggestions (ideally in that order) yet? And there is no need to stick to formalities, you can feel free to call me Scath, Scáth, ScathEnfys, or whatever you want :wink: (just try to avoid using generics like "hey you" since there are several of us helping you with your problem :wink: )

Edited by ScathEnfys, 17 March 2016 - 09:24 AM.

#15 barefootdreamers

barefootdreamers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:06 AM

Thanks Scath.  I have done the CCCleaner, Search My Files and am setting up Move On Boot.  CC got thousands of the files and SearchMyFiles seems to have removed the ones that CC couldnt get. I will research the MOB more before I try that one...they have detailed instructions available.  It is unbelievable how invasive the cryptovault was!  THANK YOU for the help!

Thanks for the response Junior, I'll continue to try to find solutions while I'm saving my $'s :-)

Have you tried Quietman and Ronald's suggestions (ideally in that order) yet? And there is no need to stick to formalities, you can feel free to call me Scath, Scáth, ScathEnfys, or whatever you want :wink: (just try to avoid using generics like "hey you" since there are several of us helping you with your problem :wink: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users