Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After all the time I spent on this..........won't boot past black screen

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

I just installed a hard drive a couple days ago. I spent hours re-installing and downloading software to the PC. I have Windows 7.Everything was going fine. This is what happened last night:

1. blue screen of death

2. restart in safe mode

3. System asks me if I want to repair windows. Didn't work

4. Now it won't boot past black screen.

Cooling fans are working...........no loose connections................monitor works fine when I watch DVD movie...................Did RAM test through Windows didn't detect a problem. 

I don't have a boot-up disc. I don't know where to start troubleshooting. 

Edited by hamluis, 15 March 2016 - 03:26 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

Start by getting a bootup disk.

How did you install windows - that usually requires a boot disk.

You can also recheck all the connections.  It took me years to get a computer to boot successfully on the first try.

Using anti-static precautions, unplug everything (except the CPU) and then carefully re-plug everything (ensuring that the slots/plugs are free of dust/lint/etc).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:04 PM

Ok. So I unplugged everything inside the PC except CPU. I was able to boot up using the original Windows 7 install CD. I ran startup repair off the CD and read a report of results. It said root cause found unknownbug check: bugcheck 50

I'm using this website right now off this PC I was able to boot up...................but for how long? Does this bugcheck 50 help with diagnosis? I installed a ton of windows updates before the crash.

I also looked up event viewer and it said bugcheck code 80 kernel power

I also ran sfc /scannow on command prompt and it returned 'resource protection did not find any integrity violations'

By the way, I reused the old SATA data cable from the old hard drive. Is that ok?

I should get an external USB drive to save everything in case this happens again.

Edited by skymaster191, 16 March 2016 - 12:13 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:57 AM

You should set a System Restore point now.

You should also backup your stuff - in case it happens again.

A "bugcheck" is also known as a STOP error or as a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)

Bugcheck code 50 is a common error

Bugcheck code 80 is the decimal equivalent of bugcheck code 50 - Event viewer often converts without telling you.

More info on this error here:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000050

Reusing the data cable may/may not be OK - but leave it alone for now as the system is working.

Once you've set a System Restore point and have backed up your data, then do these things:

- Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location. (By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop)
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Then, while waiting for a reply, please run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:22 AM

Just FYI....a really great setup for backups is Macrium Reflect free edition, then get a USB external drive for the image. If you have an extra SATA drive, this is really a great docking station to use.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

Ok. Can you give a couple days to run these utilities you recommended? I've spent so many hours working on this already. I'm going to order a USB external drive. i just need to select one. 

Yes. I've heard about Macrium. I know the USB external drives often come with cloning backup software

Are Buffalo USB external drives good?

Why do I need a docking station?

Do you guys know a good online guide for recovering from system crashes and troubleshooting PC components for failure..................in case this happens again. I don't have electronic testing equipment and would not know how to use it anyway

Edited by skymaster191, 16 March 2016 - 10:15 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:09 PM

You don't need a docking station :)...nor do you need an external drive.  What you need to do is making routine backups and store same on a partition/drive or site...from which you can readily repossess and use such when the situation calls for such.  As long as the backup is not on the same drive which Windows occupies, you have mitigated the threat of loss of your backups.  The external drive and docking station were typical easy solutions that some members use for storing backups.

For future troubleshooting...I have to suggest the BC forums :).

Troubleshooting system issues is not necessarily as easy as diagnosing what's wrong with a mechanical device...and the multiple minds present in any forum would (IMO) be much better than trying to apply some prescribed directions/suggestions that may apply to a given situation but not to yours.

Louis

#8 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

Very good...................Thanks Louis.

When I built this desktop PC five years ago I did something stupid. I screwed the motherboard directly to the floor of the PC case without the standoffs. I realized my mistake about 10 minutes later and reinstalled MB with the standoffs. I always wondered if I caused some minor damage to the board, and now if this is coming back to bite me.

I'll try to make time to run the tools John mentioned above after work tonight.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

Take as much time as you need to do the diagnostics.

Most staff have their profiles to receive emails whenever the topics receive a reply.

So, for example, you could reply back to this topic in a year, and I'd get an email and would reply back.

Good luck!

#10 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:34 PM

Ok. Thanks. It shouldn't be any later than this week.

I'm looking at Buffalo external drives. Good consumer feedback and includes USB 3.0 adapter card. Out of stock right now

Edited by skymaster191, 16 March 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

Ok. Thanks. It shouldn't be any later than this week.

I'm looking at Buffalo external drives. Good consumer feedback and includes USB 3.0 adapter card. Out of stock right now

There are basically only 3 hard drive manufacturers, four if you include HGST which is a subsidiary of WD. Even though Buffalo sells external drives, it will have somebody else's hard drive in the enclosure.

800px-Diagram_of_Hard_Disk_Drive_Manufac

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

IMO...with external hard drives, users add more points of failure (the software, then enclosure, the connection) that could be avoided by simply connecting an additional drive directly within the system or via a USB cable made for easy access to a spare hard drive.

I believe simplicity works best with computer systems.

Louis

#13 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

This is good to know, Louis. Are you saying the additional drive has less potential points of failure than external USB drive?

Another question. If I add the second hard drive, then will both drives always be running when PC is powered on? Does this put a strain on PC resources? I have a 500 watt power supply. Getting a third drive goes beyond my needs.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:55 PM

A 500-watt PSU should have no trouble with multiple drives.  I've used a 500-watt PSU on system configurations that featured 4 hard drives and 1 optical drive.

Louis

#15 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:42 PM

Hello friends,

I attached the two diagnostic zip files you asked for to this reply. I didn't feel comfortable running the drive verifier since the instructions said it could cause a system crash.

Ignore the part of the system diagnostic report warning about lack of A/V protection. I have Kasperksy and it is running fine and doing regular updates.

I notice the informational section of diagnostic report lists all this stuff as 'POOR' That can't be. PC is running fine.

I question how reliable that diagnostic report is

By the way, my windows update isn't working. The green progress bar just runs forever. I tried running Microsoft Fix-it tool and it didn't do anything. I tried turning updates on/off. That didn't help either.

Thanks,

Dave

Attached Files

Edited by skymaster191, 18 March 2016 - 09:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users