Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows failed to start

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zg1286

zg1286

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

Getting error on start up

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware change might be the cause or software change might be the cause.

If windows files have been damaged of configured incorrectly, Startup repair can help diagnosis and fix problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose start window normally.

Ran startup repair. No errors found.

Root cause Unspecified changes to System Configuration might have cause problem

Problem started right after a large windows update was done. 53 of them. Tech that was using initiated update without consulting me.

This is and Acer AR-AS5745 with Win7 SP1. Its used for diagnosing Class 8 trucks.

Have not added any software or hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zg1286

zg1286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:57 AM

Tried booting into safe mode w/networking.

Screen stuck on \windows\system32\DRIVERS/CLASSPNP.sys

Then it went to original Widows failed to start screen

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:58 AM

More than likely one of the updates broke the system. Give this a try, if you can boot into safe mode.

*edit

Posted at the same time... Okay so no safe mode... try without networking and see what happens.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 15 March 2016 - 08:58 AM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 zg1286

zg1286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for reply. I am trying running System Repair from disc created last week.

Will try that if this fails

Will post results

#5 zg1286

zg1286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:03 AM

Well, that didn't work. Tried booting into safe mode w/o networking. Got stuck in same place. It then rebooted and started Startup Repair

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:09 AM

If you have the Windows disc you could try inserting that and doing a repair. Look at number 1 here.

#7 zg1286

zg1286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:32 AM

I have a system repair disc had same. It would boot to the disc. I ran startup repair w/same results. Tried to do system restore, but it just booted back to system repair with disc in or out

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

If this happened to me, I'd restore from my last recent full system backup.  If you have one, this is what you should do.  If you don't, then maybe this will help you understand why you need to.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

Looks like he tried to do a system restore... but it failed. Maybe OP didn't have a system restore point and that is why it failed? Strange problem. If it was me I would just do a wipe and re-install. But that might not be possible.

#10 zg1286

zg1286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:28 AM

If I wipe and do a reinstall, can I recover my diagnostic software from a system image done before problem started?

We use this laptop to interface with Class 8 trucks.

Seems to me the problem is pointing to junk hard drive

Edited by zg1286, 16 March 2016 - 07:29 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:55 AM

If you use the system recovery partition to reset Windows it will revert it to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.  This is a destructive installation on your Acer.  All of the information on the C: drive will be overwritten.  This includes any programs installed, documents, pictures, music, etc. that was added after the first time you started this computer.

If your diagnostic software was purchased and you have a record of these purchases you should be able to get copies or downloads for these programs.

Have you tried running the Last Known Good Configuration from the Advanced Boot Options? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:03 AM

As dc3 stated, if you bought the diagnostic software, you should be able to re-download the installer from the company site with proof of purchase or activation code. Or if you have the CD/DVD with the activation code you should be good.

I would try the last known good configuration as dc3 said, if you can. Seems like it doesn't like much of anything though... report back.

If that doesn't work, you may have to go with the system restore to manufacture settings. Again take note to what was said above and that it will wipe all data off the drive.

#13 zg1286

zg1286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:31 AM

If you use the system recovery partition to reset Windows it will revert it to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.  This is a destructive installation on your Acer.  All of the information on the C: drive will be overwritten.  This includes any programs installed, documents, pictures, music, etc. that was added after the first time you started this computer.

If your diagnostic software was purchased and you have a record of these purchases you should be able to get copies or downloads for these programs.

Have you tried running the Last Known Good Configuration from the Advanced Boot Options? 

Yes. No luck

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:45 AM

I would just do a system wipe at this point and then re-install the software that you need. As long as you have that software though... you might have to contact the vendor to get it. Hopefully you had the machine backed up as well or had no important data on it.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

If you have a live linux disk or maybe Hirens you can try replacing the registry Hives in C:\Windows\System32\config  with the Hives in C:\Windows\System32\config\Regback if the dates in Regback are before the problem occured. I would rename the five Hives in config before copying from Regback. No guarantees but it may correct the boot problem.

You want to copy 

System

Software

Sam

Security

Then reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users