Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting For A Fresh Install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KILLER B

KILLER B

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:12 PM

I did something stupid and screwed my pc up. I need a little help on exactly how to reformat my hard drive and do fresh install of XP.

Thanks
"You hear the BUZZZZ.......Then it's too late"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:51 PM

Hi Killer B
Try one of these...How to Perform a Reinstallation of Windows XP or How to perform an XP Reinstall
Can I also give you this link to BBCode Help so you can create and display an awesome sig!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:40 AM

Do you have the Windows XP Full Installation disk so you can do a reformat and install?

If not, do you have the Restore disk from the computer's manufacturer?

If your computer did not come with either of the above you may have a restore partition in a hidden partition on the hard drive.

#4 KILLER B

KILLER B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:35 AM

What actually happened was I installed XP PROx64 edition( trial version ) It renamed my hard drives C became D and vice versa, my pc wouldn't run because I did not have the proper 64 bit drivers. I reinstalled my XP Home and now my insallation is on the D drive which is really the primary drive formerly C and will not run properly, I'm guessing because it's lookin for stuff on the C drive????It's really starting to piss me off, I've had to reformat and lost some good stuff.
My thought was to unplug C ( secondary drive, formerly D ) and force the other drive to be C as the primary?? what do you think??

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:29 AM

Is your processor and motherboard capable of running the 64bit version?

You need to format your complete hard drive and reinstall Windows XP Home:

Get the proper setup boot disks for your XP installation cd here (not what you upgraded to with downloads)
How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

Use those and then your XP installation cd.
You will need the 25 digit Microsoft key for your original XP operating system.

#6 Seth_z

Seth_z

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:16 PM

You can call a drive whatever you want, it's normally started at C: but if you added another hard drive you could call it X: if you wanted to (and when you install XP fresh it ask what partition you want to install it on and what drive letter you want to call it (defaults a C: )). If you have a full version in windows and you want to just completely format everything (lose everything you have on there) you can pop in the CD, and take care of it that way by delete the partitions and reformatting everything (if the link above doesn't help you out, this is usually the last resort).

I don't think unplugging the hard drives will work. If I remember correctly, when you load up windows it looks in whatever partition is labeled as active. So unplugging I don't think will make it C: but might not even load at all, never tried it though so I don't know for sure. (and if it did I'm pretty sure it would still be called D: ) It might even tell you your missing your disk drive.

#7 KILLER B

KILLER B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

Yes my CPU and moterboard are 64 bit compatable, My problem was I did not delete all partitions and it would pick the one with anything on it and then install along with a problem in the boot setup. Long story short, do not install a 64 bit operating system unless you are fully prepared, ethernet drivers, video drivers, motherboard drivers, any support discs that are 64 bit ( most of them aren't...trust me ) I had some serious headaches because I was not fully prepared, and I don't know what the hell I'm doing :thumbsup: I figured it out on my own and have spent the whole day reinstalling. Personally I will wait until 64 bit OS's are fully supported before trying that again.

Thanks to all of you for your input, have a nice day

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:06 AM

You can install it as a dual boot system being that your hardware will support it.

There are more and more drivers becoming available but software for it is still rather scarce.

How to create a multiple-boot system in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...Ben-us%3B306559

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users