Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC becomes increasingly slower ends with major "checkerboard" glitch and freezes

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ashy123

Ashy123

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:16 AM

Hello there, BC.

I've posted this before elsewhere but after further diagnostics, I'm none-the-wiser about what is going on and how to troubleshoot further. This is a problem that has plagued me for about a fortnight now and things aren't improving at all.

Details:

A few days ago I started getting crashes (audio loss, cursor no longer moving, no keyboard presses did anything) followed by Windows kinda resuming, but operating slower and almost glitchier. The taskbar would only work on and off, other times I couldn't click anything on there. I have firefox open nearly all the time and this issue has only happened when it has been open. It is fully updated. What happens next is, after the big freeze, firefox is covered in a checkerboard glitch (pic 1: http://i.imgur.com/Dvs9o4j.jpg) + (pic 2: http://i.imgur.com/Qja6MKC.jpg) Also, I use Chrome at the same time with no glitches or major issues there unlike in my firefox browser, nor in any other programs.

After this, my pc seems to continue freezing up to the point where I have to manually turn it off at the front. Minimising firefox gets rid of the visual glitch on my screen, when I reopen firefox some of the glitch remains. When I scroll, it adds to the glitch. If the PC does this weird crash and firefox is minimised, there will be no checkerboard until I open up firefox from my taskbar again and even still, sometimes it won't even result in the checkerboard. Also when the performance is this slow, the taskbar stops responding almost completely, sometimes it'll work though. Typing things gives a super delayed input, too. Minimised programs won't seem to re-open, or if they do, they just do not respond. Turning my PC off on the front restores functionality immediately upon reboot until the next time it crashes, usually 3+ hours. I've also noticed that sometimes when it's "close" to crashing, video streams will not load immediately, like Youtube showing the "something went wrong" error message, if left for a few seconds it loads as per usual and the message is gone. When doing file searches or when I tried to do a virus scan I noticed the computer REALLY slow down during the search, instead of zooming through hundreds of files a second, it got to the point where it struggled getting through 1KB .log files from my backup software etc.

Steps I've taken to diagnose:

1. I've changed my PSU (my old one had gotten noisy, so I was actually going to replace this anyway)

2. I've pulled each of my 2 sticks of RAM and let the computer run on each of them separately.

3. I've removed my video card and tried a different one (a EVGA 560ti)

4. I've checked everything is in good order visually inside my case.

5. I've ran CPU stress tests via prime95.

6. I've ran GPU stress tests.

7. I've checked the event viewer but I've seen nothing jump out as unusual, especially in the System category.

8. I've tried different and clean installing graphics drivers.

9. Firefox has been uninstalled (crashing/slowing down still occurs) and updated.

10. Chkdsk has been ran on my drives.

11. Made a note of my temps upon the time I've crashed: http://puu.sh/nEosH/5066cb08ed.png

My specs:

MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155
CPU: Intel i5 3570K (not OC)
GPU: MSI 770 4GB (and also tested a EVGA 560ti)
GPU Driver: 364.51
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 8GB (2x4GB)

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CXM 750W Modular 80 PLUS

SSD: Samsung 830 256GB

HHD: WD Black 2TB

I really would like to fix this for once and all, so if you require further details from me, please ask; I'm lost here, I really am.

Thank you for all you do, if this isn't quite the right forum, if you could move it, that'd be appreciated, thank you for your time and expertise.

Edited by Ashy123, 15 March 2016 - 12:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:40 PM

The CPU has gotten (during that session) as hot as 84ºC
My first suspicion is overheating.  I would first pursue troubleshooting the cooling solution for your CPU.

Ensure:

- that there is good contact between the CPU cooler and the CPU (adequate thermal compound without having too much)

- that the CPU cooler is clean and free of dirt/dust/hairballs/etc.

- that the CPU cooler fan is working properly

- that there is a supply of cooler outer air that can get at the CPU (so that no other heat generating devices are pouring hot air onto the CPU cooler).

Beyond that, ask for advice over in the Internal Hardware forums (where the hardware experts hang out):    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

I would run the system until it exhibits these problems again, then please generate these reports (to include a new screenshot of the temps):

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Edited by usasma, 15 March 2016 - 04:41 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ashy123

Ashy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=82589293055986859177

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=06402181824373814839

Apologies for the wait, I had to wait for the next crash to come along. Unfortunately, I was unable to do anything at all upon the time of the crash, so I couldn't do what you wanted at that point, however I got both things once I booted, but I suspect that'll probably not be good enough, haha.

However, I've also taken the time to clean up my cpu and reapply thermal paste as it's been a very long time since last time it was applied, so hopefully that'll make some difference temp-wise. I'm gonna run a few tests and compare temps now.

To add to this, since reapplying thermal paste and running Prime95 and playing an intensive new game release, I've monitored my temps and this is what I've got: http://puu.sh/nIcEA/579c8c7657.png Which seems like quite the improvement thus far.

Edited by Ashy123, 15 March 2016 - 11:15 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:26 AM

If the system freezes/crashes you won't be able to generate the reports then.
But it's good as long as you run them as soon as you can after - it makes searching for the errors much easier and more likely that we can find patterns in and among all the other stuff.

Temps look good, but still keep an eye on them (as you are able) while we're troubleshooting.

From the ADMIN logfile:

The most significant item just before the last crash is the Acronis Scheduler - but it's not associated with all of the crashes.

The OverwolfUpdater occurs prior to the crashes, but it's far enough before the crashes that we have to wonder about it also.

There are also issues with Cubase 5.

So, I'd suspect hardware, or an issue with OverwolfUpdater.

If it's not them, then I'd consider Cubase 5 and then Acronis

So, what I suggest is uninstalling Overwolf Updater and see if that helps.I

If that doesn't help, then uninstall Cubase5.

If that doesn't help, then uninstall Acronis

If that doesn't help, then start running hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

From the BSOD Inspector report:

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 0801) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 6 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

C: drive only has about 3% free space.  M: drive only has about 5% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  This is getting to the point where it's likely that errors are being caused by it - it's CRITICAL that you free up space!

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html
NOTE:  The uninstaller may not find the SPTD.sys driver.  Don't worry about it, just let us know in your post.

You have a huge number of startup items (I counted 39).

I'd suggest that you have a look at them and trim out the one's that are eating the most resources (if they're not needed).
Stopping them just means that it'll take a bit longer to start them if you want to use them (we're talking seconds here).
It's advisable to leave things that update or run processes in the background (like antivirus, weather checkers, email checkers, etc)

MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner (along with EVGA Precision) is known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Ashy123

Ashy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

Thank you for that.

I ran memtests and disk scans as per your guide, but nothing showed up. Temps are staying in a very acceptable range.

I believe I've had a bit of a breakthrough, but I'm working on testing it. Since it's rarely used for anything intensive, my WD Black drive just sits there inside my pc, doing its thing with storing tv shows, music things for Cubase and such, but a couple days back I ran a few benchmarks and the drive is heavily underperfoming, so much so it seems to be in the bottom 5% of drives of that caliber. Running a SeaTools full scan/diagnostic on it failed just now at the same time I got all the crazy glitches and errors. Whether it is due to the harddrive or not is unknown, as it could be the system crashing that caused the fail, but hopefully it's the drive causing the crash. Right now I'm using my PC with the drive removed and will monitor it to see if anything happens in the next 24hrs or so.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Sadly I've experienced another crash even without the drive plugged in to my PC. So I guess the crash caused it to come up as a fail. I still want to look into why it's so slow, but it's not the pressing issue. Well I guess it's back to running Prime95 to see if I can get errors. I'm pretty sure the RAM is okay. Could this perhaps be a Windows/Win10 thing? I have no updates available in Windows, so I'm all up to date there.

EDIT 2: I've left Prime95 running overnight with my external audio card/interface removed (Scarlett 2i4) and I've awoken to a non crashed PC... Plugged it in and later on I've crashed again multiple times. Could be by chance? I dunno. Usually about 3-4 hours in between crashes.

What do I do now?

Edited by Ashy123, 18 March 2016 - 06:14 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:08 PM

If the hard drive had problems with Seatools, then I'd have to wonder about that drive.

But, if the problems continue after removing the drive - then you either have a different problem, or multiple problems.

FWIW - the system can show problems (for example) if the storage controller is damaged.

The easiest thing is to slave that drive to another PC and run tests on it there.

As for the crashes, the next step is to run the system without the external audio card and it's software.

See if that stops the BSOD's.

Then, if you're up for it, install the software and the external audio card and see if the crashes resume.

Then uninstall the software and removed the external audio card and see if the BSOD's stop

That'll prove if it's the card or not.

#7 Ashy123

Ashy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:51 AM

If the hard drive had problems with Seatools, then I'd have to wonder about that drive.

But, if the problems continue after removing the drive - then you either have a different problem, or multiple problems.

FWIW - the system can show problems (for example) if the storage controller is damaged.

The easiest thing is to slave that drive to another PC and run tests on it there.

As for the crashes, the next step is to run the system without the external audio card and it's software.

See if that stops the BSOD's.

Then, if you're up for it, install the software and the external audio card and see if the crashes resume.

Then uninstall the software and removed the external audio card and see if the BSOD's stop

That'll prove if it's the card or not.

Sadly it's not. They continued even when the card wasn't installed. What's next? :(

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:36 PM

Just guessing here, but the description of the "checkerboard" glitch is suggestive of the video card.

But you've already tried another video card - so that's not likely.

If you've finished running all of the http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html diagnostics, then the next step is this:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Also, at some point a clean install of Windows will be needed to help rule out any Windows problems.

#9 Ashy123

Ashy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

Just guessing here, but the description of the "checkerboard" glitch is suggestive of the video card.

But you've already tried another video card - so that's not likely.

If you've finished running all of the http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html diagnostics, then the next step is this:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Also, at some point a clean install of Windows will be needed to help rule out any Windows problems.

I see, well I'm gonna try loading a linux build and leaving it running as I sleep tonight to see if that ends up crashing too, which hopefully should narrow things down to software vs hardware, correct?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

Yes, the Linux will remove Windows from the equation.
So if it still crashes, then it's most likely hardware.

#11 Ashy123

Ashy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:38 PM

Yes, the Linux will remove Windows from the equation.
So if it still crashes, then it's most likely hardware.

Will keep you posted, thanks for the help thus far, I really appreciate it.

#12 Ashy123

Ashy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

Apologies for the double-post, but the linux build was still operating perfectly fine in the morning. So by process of elimination, surely that narrows things down to my SSD and my windows install, right?

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

If the Linux runs fine, then that rules out hardware problems.

The next step is to figure out if it's Windows or 3rd party software.

So, the next step would be a "clean" Windows installation.

That would help to rule out Windows and 3rd party software.

install Windows and fully update it.

Get only drivers for those devices showing problems in Device Manager (from the Asus website)

Use Windows Defender and the Windows firewall for protection (temporarily)

Then test to see if the problems continue.

If they do, then it's a Windows/compatibility problem.

If they don't, then slowly install your usual programs - one by one - testing to see if they cause problems.

Edited by usasma, 21 March 2016 - 07:15 PM.

#14 Ashy123

Ashy123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:42 AM

A moment of madness may have solved my issue. From the screen glitches it only seemed most-plausible that the error lies in the graphics department, so yet again, like I have done before, I ran DisplayDriverUninstaller, fully wiped my Nvidia driver, rebooted and freshly installed the driver. 12 hours later, and no crash yet.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:46 AM

"Nothing succeeds like success!"

I'm glad that you figured it out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users