Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lechatboote

lechatboote

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:58 PM

About 18 mos ago I purchased two identical HP computers for my sister. I purchased a good Dlink router and set her up on SBC Yahoo.

Established the internet connection on her computer as the main and networked her with her daughter. They shared the internet just fine everything worked beautifully.

Then about 4 mos later, for reasons still unknown they lost the ability to connect to the internet. Before I could intervene she called the rocket scientists @ the ISP. They kept her on the phone for almost 2 hours with no solution. Finally they told her oh well just disconnect the router and use a straight connection for her computer.

Well that's all fine and well but I bought the two computers so her high school aged daughter could do her homework research.

The router functions fine, the modem functions fine, you can network the two computers(daughter is wireless) and see each other but the minute the router is used with the modem no internet?

Any suggestions, I'm getting flack from family members lol

Thanks so much

Linda Reagan : :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:59 AM

OK this sounds like something we can help you with. First I am going to move this to Networking.
Second I need a couple of things.
1) Go to Start> Run> cmd> ipconfig /all
I need to know the IP address under Controller , and the Default Gateway IP address.
Put XXX in the last segment of the addresses, 192.168.1.XXX
2) Go to the device manger on both computers and see if the Network controller is listed and if it has a ! or ? next to it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users