Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to get google chome working for xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rickofvernon

rickofvernon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:35 PM

how to get google chome working for

Edited by hamluis, 15 March 2016 - 03:50 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

You could try to download an older version from the chromium website. But I'm not sure why at this point you want to be using XP?

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

I just blew all the dust off my Windows 7 Pro's XP Mode (which I haven't used in ages) and was able to bring up Chrome with no problems.  I opened tabs for Comcast, Google, Yahoo, MSN, and BleepingComputer with no problem.  Chrome said it was version 47.0.25.26.111 m copyright 2016.  The version I'm running on my Windows 10 laptop says it's version 48.0.2564.116 m, so I tried updating the one I've got in XP mode, but it says it's running into errors trying to get to updates, whatever that means.

I'm guessing that the Google folks have decided not to support XP any more, since MS dropped support for it 2 years ago.  So as neuronic has said, it's not clear why someone would want to keep running XP.  You're just going to be running into more and more things that aren't going to work any more.  If you don't want to go to a supported version of Windows, I'd suggest you try Linux Mint which you can download from here: https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php .

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:26 PM

Well I just updated Chrome on my XP Mode system to 49.0.2623.87 m, and it said it was now up to date, so Chrome is still supported under XP.  However there's a bold note at the top of the browser saying it will not be long before it's no longer supported under XP and Vista.  So if you want Chrome with XP, you'd better get it quickly while you still can.  Personally I got off XP 2 years ago, and think the prudent thing for everyone is to get off it and go to something that's supported.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users