Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run AN OLD PROGRAM ON WINDOWS 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moh-hal

moh-hal

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

hi, i have windows 10 64-bit operating system and x64-based processor, i am trying to run an old program that worked well on my old PC (with windows XP), but i cannot.
i assume this is because it is 16-bit program.

what is the safest way to run this program on my windows 10 lap?

Thank you

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 neuronic

neuronic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

Right click on the .exe and choose "Troubleshoot compatibility"

#3 moh-hal

moh-hal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:31 PM

this doesnot work bro

Edited by moh-hal, 14 March 2016 - 11:31 PM.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

It seems like I've read that some folks have managed it with virtualization, but frankly running 16 bit programs on a 64 bit system is like trying to put a 4 cylinder engine in a motor home.    :whistle: What you might do would be to partition your C: drive and install a 32 bit version of Windows 10 or earlier in the new partition, giving you a dual boot configuration.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:39 PM

16-bit programs no longer function on 64-bit versions of Windows.Try to run a 16-bit application on a 64-bit version of Windows and you’ll just see a “This app can’t run on your PC” message.You need to install a virtual environment running a 32-bit version of Windows to run a program with a 16-bit program on 64-bit Windows. If the program itself is 32-bit, and just the installer is 16-bit,there are ways to modify a 16-bit installation program to make it 32-bit so it will install on 64-bit Windows OS. If only the installer is 16-bit (and it installs a 32-bit component), then you might be able to use a program like 7-Zip to extract the contents of the installer and install them manually

"Installing 32-bit programs with 16-bit setup launcher stubs"

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10988

Edited by FreeBooter, 15 March 2016 - 03:40 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Curly56

Curly56

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 19 March 2016 - 06:14 PM

Hi, Moh-Hal,

I also ran into a problem with a very ancient, but dear program of mine.

The best way is to install a virtual machine (like the free vm-ware player), install an older older version of Win like XP, 2000, etc where the program was still functioning into that VM, and run your program from there. Takes some extra time to start, and resources from your pc, but you can configure it to use your CD-drives/burners, printers etc from the host as if you run the old system.

Works for me, but I don't use that ancient program on a daily basis.

Greetings from Germany

Curly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users