Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen/crash during games.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smoof4321

smoof4321

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

So, I have had this problem for the past month or so, it started around the time I installed my new graphics card. It only happens when I play visually intensive games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Subnautica, Just Cause 3. I can however play less intensive games like Undertale, Minecraft or Superhot. After starting a game, a few minutes in, it suddenly black screens and crashes. Most of the time, the windows exclamation sound plays, but sometimes the audio will skip, loop, or just play incoherent noise. No messages pop up, and even if they did, I wouldn't be able to see it. My monitor will cycle through the main inputs, HDMI, DVI, and VGA, then just go to 'no signal'. However, the fans and LEDs all stay on, and for a couple seconds I can still control what's going on behind the black screen, but shortly after it fully crashes and I have to manually restart the computer. 

Here's my system specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5T OC
Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: 16 GB G. Skill Ripjaws X series (4 x 4 GB)
PSU: Roswill Hive series 650W 80+ bronze

At first I thought it was a power supply issue, but after installing my current psu, nothing changed. Then I thought it might be an overheating issue, but after monitoring with MSI afterburner, HWmonitor and speedfan, my cpu stays around 40-55C and my gpu idles at 40 and is around 60 during games. I have tried memtest 86, but there weren't any issues after 10 tests. I have updated my drivers, deleted them using DDU and reinstalled them, but I still haven't been able to fix a single thing. 

I used WhoCrashed and this is what it told me:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031416-9188-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x7A3F38) 
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8013E24010, 0xFFFFF88008BFAF38, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 364.51 
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 364.51 
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 364.51 , NVIDIA Corporation). 
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

I have tried everything in my ability (which isn't really saying much) and have come up with nothing. I hope this is the right place to post this. I am open to any and all ideas, I haven't been able to use my fancy new graphics card and I feel like I wasted 300+ dollars. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Moved topic from Computer Gaming to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

Method 1:

I suggest you to follow the below steps.

1. While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.

2. If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.

1. If this resolves the black screen, use corruption resolution steps (dism, then sfc), and run the all apps PowerShell command.

3. If this does not work, use File, Run new task in Task Manager to start an Administrator CMD window. Use this to create a new administrator user with the following commands (changing “<password>” to something of the customer’s choosing):
net user test <password> /add
net localgroup Administrators test /add

4. This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if the issue is user or system-specific.

Method 2: Temporarily Prevent a Windows or driver update

In Windows 10, your device is always kept up to date with the latest features and fixes. Updates and drivers are installed automatically, with no need to select which updates are needed or not needed. In rare cases, a specific driver or update might temporarily cause issues with your device, and in this case you will need a way to prevent the problematic driver or update from reinstalling automatically the next time Windows Updates are installed.

Please refer to the below article “How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10” and follow the steps and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

One thing, if you have onboard graphics then take out the gpu and use onboard graphics, try playing a intensive game with it, if error persists then your gpu is not faulty

#4 smoof4321

smoof4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:55 PM

I can't access the task manager when it black screens. I can still affect the game or program for a few seconds before my monitor says no signal and then the computer becomes unresponsive. Also, I don't believe I have onboard graphics, but I have my old graphics card I can put in to test. I know it still works. 

#5 smoof4321

smoof4321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

Okay so, after some tests with my old graphics card, my computer did not crash at all, so I guess there's a problem with my 970. Are there any specific tests I can run on the card to find out what exactly is wrong? Or should I just get it replaced? 

#6 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:27 PM

Return your card with warranty make them replace it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users