Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp MRT updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dave1969

dave1969

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

I have gotten an occassional Windows update ever since support ended. A few days ago I got another about the Malware Removal Tool and the message said I would be getting one update per month for several months. I tried to cancel but you know Windows won't take no for an answer. Everything seems legit - proper security shield , Microsoft link ,etc.but I thought all updates would be over by now. Is there anything to worry about here and should I install the updates? Guidance and any info appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

Prior to support ending for Windows XP, Microsoft advised that the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) would continue to be updated and deployed via Windows Update through July 14, 2015. However, MRST is still listed for Windows XP under system requirements for Supported Operating System and on the MSRT Summary page...most likely due to the third quote below in regards to retaining a weapon.

MPC Threat Research & Response Blog: Microsoft Extends Antimalware Support for Windows XP

Microsoft has announced the Windows XP end of support date of April 8, 2014. After this date, Windows XP will no longer be a supported operating system. To help organizations complete their migrations, Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015. This does not affect the end-of-support date of Windows XP, or the supportability of Windows XP for other Microsoft products, which deliver and apply those signatures.

Microsoft will furnish malware assassin to XP users until mid-2015

"Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool is aligned with the company's anti-malware engines and signatures, and as such the removal tool will continue to be provided for Windows XP through July 14, 2015...

Microsoft retains weapon to silently scrub XP

Microsoft will be able to silently reach into Windows XP PCs for more than a year after it stops patching the aged OS to clean malware-infected machines, sources close to the company confirmed Friday. The Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) will continue to be updated and deployed via Windows Update through July 14, 2015, 15 months after the Redmond, Wash. company serves its final public security patches for XP on April 8 of this year. By extending the life of the MSRT -- and more importantly, automatically running it each month -- Microsoft will be able to clean some PCs if massive malware outbreaks hit Windows XP after it's retired from support....With MSRT, Microsoft will have a weapon at the ready in case widespread malware infections strike XP machines after April 8, something the company has said is likely.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dave1969

dave1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

So MS has extended support on into 2016 ?  Are these updates worth installing or are they just window dressing. I just don't know why MS would continue doing this. MS must be making money somehow like they are with the big companies that still use xp. Thanks for quick response once again

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:49 AM

I don’t believe there’s really any reason to be concerned at all. The update channel, the source of the updates, and the technology used are very secure. I’m not in the least bit concerned about an unexpected update somehow being malicious in nature. My advice remains to keep everything as up to date as possible. And that does include taking whatever updates are offered via Windows or Microsoft Update.

Why am I still getting updates for Windows XP?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users