Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot upgrade to windows 10 (from win 7)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

Over the last few month I keep getting 'installing 4 updates' every time I shut down. On reboot they have failed and so we go on. I have tried several fixes from internet but to no avail! (one being reinstalling SP1 but as it doesn't show for deleting then apparently it was pre-installed so cannot be deleted?)

In my limited understanding of such things I thought maybe because I hadn't accepted the offer of upgrading to Win 10 that this was the root of it all. If I accept and start the download up pops the same 4 win updates which of course fail!

Am I missing something? All help greatly appreciated.

I was going to do a restore for say 6 months but restore points only go back several days which seems odd compared to win XP

Edited by doresy, 14 March 2016 - 05:27 PM.

Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:59 AM

Unless you're bound and determined to do an upgrade install (I strongly recommend against it), you can do a clean install of W10 using your W7 product key.

Historically, upgrade installs have many more problems than clean installs - so most techs suggest avoiding them like the plague.
Also, if the upgrade install does work, it's usually more difficult to fix any problems related to the upgrade - causing technicians to frequently suggest wiping the system and clean installing W10

Next, the success of an upgrade install is usually related to how well-used the old Windows installation was.  The longer/more used it was, the less likely it is to be trouble free.
And finally, in the event that you choose to revert to W7 (within 30 days), it's highly possible that the revert won't work - and you won't be able to recover the installation - so then you're stuck with a clean install of W7

So, first, make sure that you've saved the product key, that you have recovery media for W7 (in case you want to go back), and that you've backed up any data that you want to save.

Then use this link to make DVD or USB drive install media: 

If, after the clean install, you have problems or there are unknown devices in Device Manager, post back and we can help fix that up also.

Edited by usasma, 15 March 2016 - 07:03 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

The number of restore points you have depends on how much space you have reserved for it, usually 10 - 20% of your C: drive.  So it depends on two things, the size of your C: partition and the percentage of that partition that's reserved for restore points.  

If you have some updates that are failing, go to Windows Update and let it search for updates.  Then look to see what updates it finds, and uncheck the failing one(s).  That may take a bit of trial and error, but shouldn't be terribly difficult.  

I do agree with Usama's recommend to do a clean install.  If you have the space, you could partition your hard drive and install Windows 10 in the new partition, giving you a dual boot configuration.

Before doing any upgrade, you really need to make a full system backup to an external hard drive so you have a way to recover when Murphy strikes.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

Unless you're bound and determined to do an upgrade install (I strongly recommend against it), you can do a clean install of W10 using your W7 product key.

Historically, upgrade installs have many more problems than clean installs - so most techs suggest avoiding them like the plague.
Also, if the upgrade install does work, it's usually more difficult to fix any problems related to the upgrade - causing technicians to frequently suggest wiping the system and clean installing W10

Next, the success of an upgrade install is usually related to how well-used the old Windows installation was.  The longer/more used it was, the less likely it is to be trouble free.
And finally, in the event that you choose to revert to W7 (within 30 days), it's highly possible that the revert won't work - and you won't be able to recover the installation - so then you're stuck with a clean install of W7

So, first, make sure that you've saved the product key, that you have recovery media for W7 (in case you want to go back), and that you've backed up any data that you want to save.

Then use this link to make DVD or USB drive install media: 

If, after the clean install, you have problems or there are unknown devices in Device Manager, post back and we can help fix that up also.

Thank you for your time and reply. All noted and advise now taken....

#5 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

The number of restore points you have depends on how much space you have reserved for it, usually 10 - 20% of your C: drive.  So it depends on two things, the size of your C: partition and the percentage of that partition that's reserved for restore points.  

If you have some updates that are failing, go to Windows Update and let it search for updates.  Then look to see what updates it finds, and uncheck the failing one(s).  That may take a bit of trial and error, but shouldn't be terribly difficult.  

I do agree with Usama's recommend to do a clean install.  If you have the space, you could partition your hard drive and install Windows 10 in the new partition, giving you a dual boot configuration.

Before doing any upgrade, you really need to make a full system backup to an external hard drive so you have a way to recover when Murphy strikes.

Good luck.

Thank you, I will be leaving it for now and see how it goes 

#6 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

Good luck.

Thank you, I will be leaving it for now and see how it goes 

The upgrade keeps failing for some reason and as I was only going to try to install Win10 in an attempt to clear update failures anyway it all seems futile! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users