Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Error: "Bad_System_Config_Info" on startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sfh-pc

sfh-pc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

I built my very first PC in the weekend. Everything was working fine, but after a restart, I had an error message saying something along the lines of "Windows couldn't start". I then had several options where I ended up choosing something like "Start Windows from a version that worked" which erased like half of my programs and many of my drivers. I then proceeded to reset the computer entirely and restarted. Now, the computer is working again (as it were before) and I've installed everything again, including all the drivers (I hope). However, when I restart the computer, I get a blue screen that says: "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll start for you. If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. It then restarts and works perfectly. This only happens every approx. third restart, the other times, it boots just fine. 

I bought Windows 10 Home on a USB which I used to install on my new SSD. All the drivers should be up to date. What to do?

Components 

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ||| Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ||| MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 ||| Motherboard Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ||| Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ||| Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ||| MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB ||| NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case ||| Cooler Master 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:18 PM

The message said to search for BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO.  Did you do that?  When I did, I got a plethora of hits starting with one in answers.microsoft.com about Windows 10 here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-badsystemconfiginfo/802fffbf-0d2e-404b-99c1-5e00c24f6008?page=2 .

The above link has 40 posts, several from Microsoft MVPs.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:50 AM

Here's more info on that error:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000074

FYI - it is possible that a hardware problem could be causing this.

The most common problem that I had when building PC's was that inevitably, there would be one connection that wasn't quite right.

You can also run these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

I'd suggest reconnecting all the connections in the new build (observing antistatic precautions) with the exception of the CPU cooler/CPU/motherboard connection (it's just too messy to start out with it just on my hunch).
When you disconnect a connection, also blow out the slot/connector with canned air (DO NOT USE an air compressor or a vacuum - as they can cause damage).

Edited by usasma, 15 March 2016 - 06:50 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users