Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Family Computer Crashes Soon After Start-up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Maverach

Maverach

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

I'm staying with my aunt who has a Compaq running Windows XP, and it has been running well as the family computer up until this morning. They left it on when they left for vacation a few days ago, and I noticed that it kept rebooting, getting to the log-in screen, and rebooting again. I tried to troubleshoot, pulling the computer out of it's recess in the desk to give it some air flow, then I tried to log in to do a system restore, and it crashed about 10 seconds after log-in. I then tried starting in Safe Mode, and managed to boot up some spyware software and start a scan until it crashed halfway through. I let the computer sit for a half hour or so, and tried again with the same result. This is their only computer; I'm very worried that there is something severely wrong with the computer, and I know they have files and saved games that they need. I'm wondering if it's some basic internal issue or if there's potentially a virus. My computer on the network has been fine, with no viruses or spyware. Any help greatly appreciated.

~Rachel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:43 AM

Can you boot onto Safe Mode? (F8 when you start the computer) If so try using "Last Known Good Configuration". If it will not go back to before the problem started, start the computer in Safe Mode with Network support. This will allow you to update and run your antivirus and antspyware programs

Edited by acklan, 02 August 2006 - 12:43 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:29 AM

If the above doesn't work, try using system restore.

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

Use a date from before the problem first began.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users