Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove excessive adapters and protocols

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thetao

thetao

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:12 PM

I am looking for recommendations for an automated way to remove unneeded/excessive adapters and protocols, i.e. the objects found in msinfo32.exe under Components -> Network -> Adapter and Components -> Network -> Protocol. I've never used a registry cleaner before, but am told this is not something they support.  I don't believe these objects were created by malware.

As a corollary, does anybody know if Windows 7 has a maximum number of Adapters or Protocols, or is the number mostly limitless?  The total of each is approaching 255, which makes me wonder if the sheer number is having a detrimental effect.  It's obviously more than there should be.

The problem I'm trying to solve is described at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/37dab690-bc74-425a-a389-1bb3478db63f/windows-7-cannot-access-shared-folders?forum=w7itpronetworking and generates an error 1231 when attempting to connect to a file share via "net use".

Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

You can use my batch script to reset TCP/IP protocol suite to its default configuration.

Create a log file for computer configuration information and its operating system
Systeminfo and Msinfo32 commands displays detailed configuration information about a computer and its operating system, including operating system configuration, security information, product ID, and hardware properties, such as RAM, disk space, and network cards.
  • Open Command Prompt as a administrator.
  • Type Systeminfo > %userprofile%\Desktop\Systeminfo.txt command and press Enter key.
  • Type msinfo32 /report %UserProfile%\Desktop\MsInfo.NFO command and press Enter key.
  • Upload Systeminfo.txt and  MsInfo.NFO  files stored at your Desktop to a file sharing website or PasteBin and let us have the download link.
"Reset TCP/IP Protocol Suite"
http://www.whitehatforums.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=750

Posted Image

#3 thetao

thetao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the fast reply.  I'll try to have a closer look tonight.  But FYI, in case you see this first, TCP/IP is functioning normally in every other way.  I'm really just wanting to strip out all of these excess adapter and protocols and note the results.  I may have managed to remove one adapter by hand...but 3 or 4 hours later, decided that wasn't something I wanted to do again, lol.

Edited by thetao, 14 March 2016 - 10:48 PM.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

If its TCP/IP protocol works correctly then you don't need to use my batch script also leave TCP/IP protocols alone as they say if it works don't repair it. Be very carefully what network card drivers you remove as removing wrong one can cause you lose connection to your router and internet. Instead of removing network adapter driver just disable it its same as removing.

Posted Image

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:31 PM

And just as a safety measure, if you do decide to run FreeBooter's batch file, go into control panel and create a new restore point before you start. Just in case something goes pear-shaped you will be able to revert to the position you were in before you started.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:57 PM

And just as a safety measure, if you do decide to run FreeBooter's batch file, go into control panel and create a new restore point before you start. Just in case something goes pear-shaped you will be able to revert to the position you were in before you started.

Chris Cosgrove

Good advice for now my batch script never cause issue but i should never say ever i will edit my batch script to add codes that will  automatically create system restore point soon as batch script executed.

Posted Image

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:24 PM

Batch script has been re-uploaded it has been edited to create system restore point before resetting TCP/IP protocol suite and now batch script works with Windows XP O/S.

Posted Image

#8 thetao

thetao
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:56 PM

If its TCP/IP protocol works correctly then you don't need to use my batch script also leave TCP/IP protocols alone as they say if it works don't repair it.

TCP/IP works normally, but SMB/CIFS is dead, and these extra adapters and protocols are the only anomaly I've found so far.  That's why I want/need to clean them out.  I've likely been through every suggestion in the MS Technet link posted above (plus a few other threads), but the problem remains.  Still hoping for a magic bullet...

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:06 AM

What make you think SMB/CIFS is dead there is no such a think in TCP/IP protocol suite all protocols of TCP/IP will be utilize when needed. Server Message Block (SMB), one version of which was also known as Common Internet File System (CIFS) operates as an application-layer network protocol mainly used for providing shared access to files, printers, and serial ports and miscellaneous communications between nodes on a network. It also provides an authenticated inter-process communication mechanism. Not all protocols can be uninstalled this include SMB protocol.
You can uninstall "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" service and "Client for Microsoft Networks" client from properties of network card you are using to connect to router. This will disable SMB protocol.

To disable SMB
  1. Open Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings

Right-click Internet facing connection, and then click Properties.

2. Select the Client for Microsoft Networks check box, and then click Uninstall.

3. Follow the uninstall steps.

4. Select File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and then click Uninstall.

5. Follow the uninstall steps.

You may be ask to restart your computer.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users