Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iTunes fails to update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:53 PM

Since I have run the downloaded installer, iTunes (the older version) is no longer installed on this Windows 8.1 machine.

Is iTunes no longer available for Windows 8.1? That would seem to be a crazy situation. Although I don't often use it on Windows 8.1.

There was a similar error with Quicktime too

Attached File  itunes update fail.JPG   37.75KB   0 downloads Attached File  itunes update failure.JPG   31.18KB   0 downloads

Edited by HairCut, 14 March 2016 - 01:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

The iTunes 64-bit installer must be used with Windows 8.1.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

Seems like it's permissions issue.

1: Press win+r shortcut on the keyboard >> enter %programdata% in the window that will pop up and press enter.
2: Navigate to the Apple\Apple Application Support folder
3: Right click on the kdrl directory and select properties, then select security tab.
4: In the 'Group or user names' box, there should be the following entries;

• SYSTEM
  • Administrators (name of your computer\Administrators)
  • Users (name of your computer\Users)

If necessary you can add them using the Edit button and then Add.

5: Set the permissions for these user names as stated below:

• SYSTEM - check all boxes except 'Special Permissions'
  • Administrators (name of your computer\Administrators) - check all boxes except 'Special Permissions'
  • Users (name of your computer\Users) - check Read & execute, List folder contents and Read.

6: Rember to click 'Apply' after setting up each user name, and when you are done, just OK your way back out of the properties dialog box.

Try to update iTunes now.

#4 HairCut

HairCut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the advice. Which has been successful. I've taken a long tme to get around to it as I didn't need itunes on this machine all this time.

I added SYSTEM and gave it 'full control'. During install, a second message about "error getting file security' on a second folder appeared where I repeated the operation in permissions. So now iTunes is installed.

Now let's see if iTunes deletes my purchased audio files from ipod like it has done in the past :ranting: :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users