Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PXE, No Bootable Device Found

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dazerack

Dazerack

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/607922/pxe-no-bootable-device - Hamluis.

I have the same problem, my bios however still detects both of my HDDs

Edited by hamluis, 14 March 2016 - 11:23 AM.
Split to Internal Hardware, merged repost by OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dazerack

Dazerack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:45 AM

Hello all, I wasn't sure where to post this and from what I've already read it seems like my HDD may be toast....

I had a windows BSOD sometime ago and can't remember the specifics as this is the first opportunity I've had to work on the problem.

After the BSOD reboot, I get the PXE error followed by the Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device message.

My BIOS still detects both of my HDDs though.  I'm a former IT guy turned pharmacist and I am WAY behind the times of technology but anyway here goes...

I built a CyberPower Laptop (and regret it but I digress)

It uses an American Megatrends Aptio Setup Utility

This was a Windows 8 upgraded to Windows 10

Intel Core i7-4810MQ 2.8 GHz

The HDD is a Seagate SSHD and is under warranty until June....  I think it was some type of hybrid technology? (1TB SATA HDD/256GB SSHD)

Anyway, if its toast, am I better off just buying a new HDD myself or trying to get Segate to replace?  Also, is there anything else I can try first?

Thanks for your time!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

If the hard drive is detected in UEFI I would first try resetting UEFI settings and see if you still get the PXE error. Make sure your HDD is listed as the first boot device. Disable SecureBoot in UEFI and see if you get the PXE error.

I would pull the drive and attach it to another computer. Download and install Seatools for Windows and do the short/long generic tests to see if it passes. If it fails contact Seagate and ask for a replacement. 

If removal is not possible then use Seatools for DOS but it may not detect the drive. Make sure SecureBoot is disabled in UEFI or the CD will not boot.Also disable Fastboot/Quickboot if you have a setting in UEFI.  If Seatools for DOS does not detect the drive then download the Ultimate Boot CD. At the menu screen select Parted Magic. On the Parted Magic Desktop select Disk Health and run the short/long tests.

#4 Dazerack

Dazerack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:16 PM

Ok so I don't know what just happened but following your info, I noticed UEFI was disabled in the bios....So I turned it on and rebooted.  It said UEFI is scanning and repairing C:\ and when it finished, windows loaded....  What was that?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:09 PM

Somehow UEFI was disabled and Legacy or CSM boot was enabled. Don't ask how that happened because I have no idea how UEFI settings were changed. The OS was installed with UEFI enabled and could not boot when it changed to Legacy.

Glad you got it sorted out though and thanks for the update.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 March 2016 - 03:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users