Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

\\.\C:\ help please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 paultangell

paultangell

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:00 AM

My friend has Windows Security Essentials. All seems fine until you do a scan. It updates fine starts scanning but always hangs at the place. The file it appears to hang on is "\\.\C:\" 
To my knowledge this is not a valid file location or even location. 
Have uninstalled the virus software and reinstalled still with the same problem.
Anyone got any clues. Thanks in advance Paul.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 14 March 2016 - 06:55 AM.
Moved to more appropriate forum from Windows 7. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:49 AM

You can try other free antivirus like AViRA, AVG and etc ...

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

My friend has Windows Security Essentials. All seems fine until you do a scan.

If your friend really has Windows Security Essentials instead of Microsoft Security Essentials, I wouldn't be surprised that he's having problems.

#4 paultangell

paultangell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:14 AM

That is more of a work around than a fix, but thanks anyway.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:03 AM

That is more of a work around than a fix, but thanks anyway.

I'm assuming that you are referring to Webwalker67's suggestion to try a different antivirus?

Their suggestion actually has some merit.  If there is a problem with the antivirus you are using and the problem stops when you try another antivirus it would be a strong indicator that there is a problem with the antivirus you are running.  I should also make you aware, if you aren't already, that you should not have two antivirus programs installed on a computer.  This is true even if you are only running one of these programs.

But the truly salient point was asked by Agouti...  is your friend running Windows Security Essentials or Microsoft Security Essentials?  In my personal opinion Windows Security Essentials appears to be riding on Microsoft Security Essentials coat tails.  Until reading this post I had never heard of "Windows Security Essentials",  When I Googled Windows Security Essentials the only thing that came up was about "Microsoft Security Essentials".    

Edited by dc3, 14 March 2016 - 10:04 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 paultangell

paultangell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:15 AM

I apologies i meant Microsoft security essentials. When i uninstalled it i did put on avg temporarily to see if there was a problem and also malware bytes. Neither found a problem.I would have personally stayed with AVG but for some deluded reason he wanted MSE back on. Once i had uninstalled avg and malware bytes i reinstalled MSE and still the same problem. At the end of the day the PC seems to be clear but i really want to know why it hangs on the file,\\.\C:\ this dose not seem to be a valid file or even location. Googled it to no avail. Can anyone enlighten me to this location. 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:42 AM

What scan are you running when this occurs.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users