Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Music and pictures missing after updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 googlepelx4

googlepelx4

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:53 PM

Hello,

I installed Windows updates last night, and after the updates installed, my music, pictures, and several desktop icons disappeared. At first, whenever I tried to open the Control Panel, this message popped up:

::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}

The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.

When I tried to open anything else, the same message popped up, but without the numbers and letters over "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute." I ran sfc /scannow, which fixed this problem. I can now open programs, but my music and pictures were not restored.

I ran several malware scans, and my system is clean. I also tried to do a system restore, but there are no restore points available. Is there any way to restore the missing files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:31 PM

G'day googlepelx4, and Welcome to BC

Were any of the pics named......with a name that you can remember ?

Can you remember the names of some of the music...?

If so....install EVERYTHING  

After installation, allow it to scan....(it is quite quick)

Then type in the name of a pic or piece of music

Result ?

Edited by Condobloke, 13 March 2016 - 10:31 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#3 googlepelx4

googlepelx4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the response Condobloke. It did not find any of the pictures or music files that I searched for.

Edited by hamluis, 14 March 2016 - 11:36 AM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:49 PM

Recuva

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#5 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:50 PM

Are you having new created Windows User Profile which mean all your files (in desktop/Document) went missing

#6 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:45 PM

Did you have these files in under a specific username? I had a client who had all their documents/downloads "disappear" but somehow ended up in a different user's documents and downloads. Hopefully this is the case. I would go to my pc, c:\ drive, users folder, and check every uses documents/pictures/downloads, etc.

Edited by chalup, 14 March 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:51 PM

In Windows Vista and Windows 7 there is a "Previous Versions" tab on the properties dialog of folders. This could be used to recover a previous version ofa file or files that has since been deleted or changed.

Edited by FreeBooter, 15 March 2016 - 01:49 AM.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

Post#1:
So your desktop icons have dissappeared, can you still get to your files by looking into "my computer"/"this PC" and going down the folder structure until you reach them? If not can you get to "this PC" at all, your pictures/music/etc folders where probably originally subfolders of C:\Users\[your user name], is that folder still there? are the subfolders missing? Also please list, what were the KB numbers of those updates you did?

P.S. For the future always make sure to backup your files, with luck this problem you have experienced here can be fixed, it might just be loss of desktop icons given some of the things you say, but computers can suffer other problems which would make files unrecoverable. Buy some USB sticks and copy your files onto them, store the sticks in a safe place. MAke sure to backup all files to the USb sticks and alos to a few other locations as well, atleast 3 locations minimum. So have copies on USB, copies on optical media (cd/cd-rw/dvd) and copies in cloud storage somewhere, google drive gives you 15Gb free if you have a gmail account. When using cloud storage don't sync it with your computer, rather make manual uploads via the browser interface of the cloud backups website whenever you have a new file to backup.

Edited by rp88, 14 March 2016 - 08:09 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users