Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do you recognize this filename?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cjsears

cjsears

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:05 AM

Does anyone know if bffiyhm.exe is a legit exe in windows/programs? I'm running xp home sp2. bffiyhm.exe appears to be an ms-dos app, about 6.5 k in size. i've run mcaffee and spybot. spybot finds and fixes something called DyFuCA , but, alas, it returns and mibffiyhm.exe tries to access the internet every five minutes( or seconds, depending on it's mood). I suspect they are related, but i'm waiting for one of the many very capable people who converge here to offer their assistance. PLEASE! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 05 December 2004 - 09:32 AM

Run these online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If that doesn't help, then:

Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder:
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.
This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, here. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cjsears

cjsears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 05 December 2004 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for the fast reply! Nice to get a hand. Panda got squat, trend micro came up with a .rar file pretending to be an emulator for xbox. I'm pretty sure I've never run it, ,so it shouldn't be part of the problem right? It's gone either way, and I somehow became allowed access to bffiyhm.exe and deleted it as well. isdsvd.exe made a brief appearance in the program files, and it's also gone. I now think the source of the trouble to be program files\common files\tsa; it contains tsl.exe and tslock. Nothing can be deleted from this directory and the properties cannot be changed I'm pretty new to my computer and there are a lot of program files that i don't recognize. I fear it may be a sign of data/programs being installed to my computer. I've downloaded HJT and will post my log asap. Meantime, if anyone recognizes any of these file or directory names a legit, i'd love to hear about it. the spyware chase has left me trigger happy to delete anything i don't recognize, and i'll probably screw something up that way. thanks a lot, bleeping computer rocks!
:thumbsup:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:26 AM

tsl.exe
According to PestPatrol, this is associated with TrojanDownloader.Win32.TSUpdate.a

From McAfee:

This is not a virus or trojan. It is a direct-marketing adware application.

This kind of application generally comes bundled with another program, which usually discloses the fact that it is ad-supported.  Users agree to have the Adware installed in the license agreement, although they may not realise at first that this file was packaged with the product they installed.

Once you get your HJT log taken care of, this should no longer be a problem. As I said above:

Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users