Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much is to much?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:48 PM

I realize you only need one anti virus, so I have been using Avast for about 10 years

, I use Firefox for browsing the internet and have Ghostery installed

Now it seems like Avast has what they call Avast online security

I believe firefox has some security built into it as well.

I am testing the Malwarebytes anti Ransomeware software

And because Firefox suggested it, I have a Proxy switcher plugin, I have no clue if its working, but its there

Question is, Do I need all that stuff? and does it conflict with each other?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

Avast Online Security is just a browser extension,

avast Online Security Plugin, What is it?

Avast Online Security Plugin formerly Known as WebRep shows reputation ratings in search results based on feedback from millions of WebRep users. By clicking on this plugin icon in browser(s), you can able to see the rating and you can also caste your vote for the page you’re on.

Other features of Avast Online Security Plugin
* Collects phishing site info from all users and warns if you visit them
* User can create his own trusted pages list
* Site content rating system
* When combined with Avast antivirus, user will have access to the SiteCorrect feature, which automatically redirects users to legitimate URLs when mistyped

There shouldn't be any conflicts with what you are using. However, an anti-virus is not enough and you need an anti-malware program as well. I generally recommend Malwarebytes AntimalwareMalwarebytes Anti-Ransomeware is primary designed to provide protection against ransomware. See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomeware is primary designed to provide protection against ransomware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for answering Quietman

Yes I do have Malwarebytes installed, but its the free version. My understanding is, the free version doesnt have real time detection, but works really good at finding Malware and PUPs on the PC

I forgot to mention I have Add Block plus installed as well as the others I mentioned before.

I have had a message where it says Firefox detected "Blank" and stopped it from running

I have had Ghostery do the same thing several times on different sites, but they never go off at the same time

Everything seems to be good, but I was just wondering if some of them do the same thing and whether I need them all.

I have had Avast go off in the past but havent had anything for almost a year, which is good

So anyway I will keep what I have, being that it seems to be working

Thanks Again

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:29 PM

Yes Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free is just a stand-alone scanner which offers advanced malware detection and removal.

The full version of includes a real-time Protection Module that uses advanced heuristics scanning technology to monitor your system and prevent the installation of most new malware, stopping malware distribution at the source. This technology dynamically blocks malware sites & servers, prevents the execution of malware, proactively monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium is sufficient to cover the gap left by any anti-virus.

I use uBlock with Ghostery. I previously used Adblock Plu but removed it...you may want to read these notes.
Google, Amazon, Microsoft pay to get ads past Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus is letting companies pay to let their ads through
Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus
Attention NoScript Users - Adblock Plus
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users