Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computers wont boot any more

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

i left a few of my computers in a shed for a couple years while i was away and i have come back and non of them will boot up.

the fans and stuff turn on... but no POST/BIOS shows up and the newer monitors say the computer is going in to power save mode and the monitors shut off.

i even tried a recently bought monitor that is known to work fine and it also "went in to power save mode"

heat shouldn't have been a problem... and i don't see any thing that looks like it froze and broke open... do i just need to find a way to reload the BIOS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:03 PM

Completely normal, if they are older and for long time stood idle computers.

There may be problems with electronic components, and if so, then it is cheaper to buy new than to repair the old.

None of the electronic device does not want to stand in long idle, especially, if it already has been in use.

Edited by kaljukass, 13 March 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:41 PM

"power save mode" probably refers to the monitors, not the PC. If they were in a shed, they might be beyond operational. are you getting any BIOS beeps on boot?

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Teisei

Teisei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:10 AM

damn, kinda what i figured.

sad that my old windows 95 computers still run and these old windows XP computers die from simply sitting around for a couple years.

thanks for the answers guys

also i didn't put any in tower speakers in so not sure if i am even getting a start up beep or not.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:12 AM

If you can put in a BIOS speaker it would help us diagnose the issue...
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:24 AM

Have you tried to boot into the BIOS?

Have you looked at the motherboard to see if there are electrolytic capacitors that a failing?  These typically will bulge, usually at the top, or leak around the base.  The electrolytic brake down over time, this is normal.

Have you checked all of your connections, reseated  cards and RAM modules?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users