Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen after installing new memory.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

I just bought a 2gb ram stick to add to my windows 7 PC which had already 2x2gb(4gb). The new stick is the same ddr2 800mhz although is a different brand but I read many times online that shouldn't be a problem as long as the specs are the same.

Computer started up fine, it noticed the memory had changed and I chose to continue to windows which started totally fine. After about an hour though I got a sudden blue screen of death.

12722406_10154043389974612_121740209_o.j

I tried to restart but it got stuck on the windows logo, 3rd time computer started beeping like crazy and wouldn't even get to the logo, 4th time another blue screen then I gave up and took the new stick out.

Now everything seems fine again, but what went wrong here? Maybe I need to do something to sync the new stick to the old ones or I donno... I never had problems when I put a new stick in my laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

Were you mixing sticks? If you mix DIMMs, issues will follow... They should have the exact same speed and timings or things go crazy.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

Were you mixing sticks? If you mix DIMMs, issues will follow... They should have the exact same speed and timings or things go crazy.

What do you mean by mixing DIMMs?

The memory sticks are all the same size, speed and type. 2gb DDR2 800mhz. Only brand names are different.

Edited by noz03, 13 March 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:00 PM

Are the timings the same? Sometimes different brands have different timings.

#5 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

Are the timings the same? Sometimes different brands have different timings.

How do I find this out?

I bought it second hand, maybe it has a problem?? Was from a reputable seller but still...

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

to find the timings you are going to have to look up your model number of the RAM and try to find manufacturer's specs on it. Have you tried to boot with just the new DIMM?

#7 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

Well I don't know if you remember from my other post you commented on but even on the official page of my current RAM the information seems to be completely wrong, thinks they are 1gb but they are 2gb. And for new stick TEDD2048M800H (http://www.ebay.de/itm/351667517339?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) I can't find any info for this one online at all :(

Is there any other way to check this in windows or 3rd party software?

All I know is all 3 sticks old and new are 2gb800mhz DDR2 PC6400. Is there anything I could do to try and make these work? Maybe some bios settings?

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:38 AM

You could try checking in the BIOS, one stick at a time. If the BIOS supports memory overclocking there should be detailed memory information somewhere in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users