Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How are Programs like FRST and MiniToolBox made?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:37 AM

There are many programming languages, which one is the one to make programs like FRST and MiniToolBox?

And what's the difference between app, application, program, executable, binary file, tool and utility?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:40 PM

I can't speak to those two programs as I did not write them. I've seen tools used in this community and others I was involved in be coded in Python, Java, C, C++, batch, VB, VB.net, C#, PHP.... I mean you can use whatever you want. It all depends on what's available to you, your target audience and your possible methods of delivery.

As for the difference between those terms.... this is really up to some interpretation..... but typically when 'app' is used, it's meant as a mobile-type application (example: something you install on a smartphone or tablet). Application being synonymous with program (or software). An executable is just that. A program that can be executed. Typical executables have '.exe' or '.dll' as extensions, but that can vary based on delivery, purpose and operating environment.

A binary file is again, just as it sounds. At the core of it all, all files are binary files because that is the base language that computers all understand.

Tool and utility are two words that again mean the same thing - exactly what you think it means. Just like a hammer or a saw, it's something you use to perform a particular task.

Just a quick note, this was a very generic and vague couple of questions and most people wouldn't answer that kind of post. Care to guess why? Let me explain...

You asked one specific question (the first one) that most people wouldn't even know the answer to. But also you provided no background as to why you are asking said question. There is no way to glean the purpose of your question from just reading it. So the only obvious purpose is to satisfy curiosity. Now unless the devs of said programs happen to look in this forum (which is a gamble), you're not likely to get an answer.

If for instance you wanted to know because you would like to try your hand at programming, then saying so would probably have garnered more than just tumbleweeds and my reply.

The semantics question honestly sounded like something out of a textbook. Again, those types of questions typically don't get answered as you can't expect people to do your homework for you. If that wasn't the case (homework), then perhaps your general train of thought about what confuses you with these terms would have been in order.

Just my $0.02

Hope that helped.

I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:59 AM

Thank You for Replying to this Topic.

I asked these two questions out of curiosity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users