Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question wifi - ip address

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kelley1303

Kelley1303

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:59 AM

Good morning,

I need some help about questions. English is not my native language but I am living in UK , hope you can understand me (I am French).

I work at a hotel and I have met someone and kept contact with him. We talked several times through messages on a mobile app. The app has encrypted servers. 

But I got scared of him. I have 2 main questions:

- can he find my IP address during this kind of conversations?

and

- if he were using a wifi network, does anyone using the same network could intercepted our conversation and therefore, help him to find my home?

I sent messages from my home, using my wifi network. 

I am sooo bad in informatics, thanks for your help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:13 AM

What type of smartphone do you use and what app did you use?

You are scared that he finds where you live?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:00 PM

can he find my IP address during this kind of conversations?

depends, what type of communication did you use? If he did not have control of the servers, it is unlikely but not impossible.

if he were using a wifi network, does anyone using the same network could intercepted our conversation and therefore, help him to find my home?

possibly, though most communications are encrypted. Therefore, for anyone else other than the person you communicated with to find out about your communication, they would have to break the encryption first - not typically an easy task.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 Kelley1303

Kelley1303
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:44 AM

Thanks for the replies. I use an IPhone 6s and I sent messages, pictures and voice recorders through Hellotalk. I don't know how this app works, I sent them an email and they told their servers are encrypted. I do not know what that means.

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:38 AM

Sorry, I'm not familiar with HelloTalk. I took a look at their site, but it doesn't tell me much about anonymity.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. I use an IPhone 6s and I sent messages, pictures and voice recorders through Hellotalk. I don't know how this app works, I sent them an email and they told their servers are encrypted. I do not know what that means.

Encrypted means that the user data stored on their servers is scrambled with a password to protect it from unauthorized access. It doesn't answer your question. I would ask them if the app connects directly to other users or if both users communicate with one of their servers. That should let us know if your IP address could have been found.

#7 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

I would say your connecting to a server with SSL.

https://devcentral.f5.com/articles/ssl-profiles-part-8-client-authentication
Windows-Live-Writer-525a2ddcdc82_787C-Mo

https://www.evsslcertificate.com/ssl/description-ssl.html
howssl.gif

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#8 Kelley1303

Kelley1303
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:58 AM

I sent them an email asking what you said. I am just waiting for their reply.
If I understood well... If the server is SSL so we are talking directly from a device to another device without any intermediary proxy or something.

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:30 AM

Not necessarily, SSL just means a secure connection. It could be device to device, or device to server to device.

#10 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

Good morning,

I have 2 main questions:

- can he find my IP address during this kind of conversations?
and
- if he were using a wifi network, does anyone using the same network could intercepted our conversation and therefore, help him to find my home?

I sent messages from my home, using my wifi network. 

I'm quite certain device to server to device.

I would be more concerned with the GPS location sharing. http://www.fluentin3months.com/hellotalk-review/

(1) Smileys and other features you’d expect from a good chat program, like notifications of new messages, GPS location sharing, text size settings.

(2) As with Whatsapp, you can share your GPS location to make it easier to find language partners nearby.

Edited by Crazy Cat, 18 March 2016 - 06:48 PM.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users