Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with the driver for Local Area Connection adapter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MCMSBre

MCMSBre

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:16 AM

Hello,

So yesterday i woke up and turned my PC on to find out that i have a big red "X" on my connection thingy in the bottom right corner. When i tried to use the "Solve Problems" option i got this message: "There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area Connection Adapter". I searched online on my phone to find some solutions. I found a couple:

-Update network adapter drivers
-Deinstall all those drivers and let windows install them again
-Tried connecting wirelessly, but once again i got the same problem (just this time it said "wireless something something 11 adapter)
-Tried using my ethernet cable on my laptop, it worked, it´s not in the cable
-Disabled and enabled Local Area Connection in the "Change Adapter Settings"
-Made sure TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6 are both on Auto
Nothing worked. In the end i decided to restore my PC to a couple of days ago. In those couple of days there were some Windows updates that got installed.

After restoring, my internet worked again. I decided to immediatly update my Network Adapter Drivers. Upon doing that my internet icon went crazy, one seccond i had internet the other not. Now that i think about it it was probably because those drivers were being installed. After that i restarted my PC a couple of times. On one restart those updates got installed (18 of them), but after every restart my internet worked. I am not sure if the problem is in those updates since the first time i got them installed it was about a week before my problem occured.

After all of that i posted my first cry for help online. I got one answer and the person told me to download and run "Tweaking Windows Repair". I downloaded it but i didn´t run it until today. The reason being, my internet worked, and a part of me thought (hoped) that the problem was gone... Oh silly me.

Today i turned on my PC with fear, unfortunately my fear was justified. Same thing. First thing i tried was restoring my PC again, so that i can at least have internet access and start working on the solution. The problem is, this time it didn´t let me go that far back, it only gave me the option to go back to yesterday. I did that, but this time it did not work.

Then i decided to use the "Tweaking" program. It finished, problem was still there. I did it again, since it said that they recommend doing it twice. Still nothing. After that i decided to manually deinstall all updates that windows installed for this month. I managed to deinstall everything (even microsoft .net framework, which i don´t know if it´s good or bad). The only thing i was not able to deinstall was "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (15.010.20060)", but only because it didn´t let me do that.

I honestly have no idea what to do next, and i hope some of you have the solution.

My IPCONFIG /ALL:

Windows IP Configuration
host name..............................: user-pc
primary dns suffix....................: (blank)
node type...............................: hybrid
ip routing enabled....................: no
wins proxy enabled..................: no

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
media state.............................: media disconnected
connection-specific dns suffix.....: (blank)
description...............................: teredo tunneling pseudo-interface
physical address.......................: 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
dhcp enabled............................: no
autoconfiguration enabled..........: yes

I have no idea what any of this is, but i saw some people do it so i did it as well. The only thing i think i know is that DHCP should be enabled, and i did that, i´ve put TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6 on auto. Unless there is another way to enable DHCP.

So there it is, I hope some of you know what the problem is, and hopefully it can be fixed. If more information is needed i am more than happy to provide it.

System spec:
Windows 7 Ultimate
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
RAM: 8,00 GB (7,89 GB Usable)
64-bit OS

Thank you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 March 2016 - 11:01 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:05 PM

You are showing no network card in your ipconfig.

Most results of "tweeking programs" are not good.  Stay away from them.

Go to device manager/network/lan card and see what is says [exclamation point?]

BTW lack of restore points is a sign of malware infection

Edited by Wand3r3r, 13 March 2016 - 01:06 PM.

#3 MCMSBre

MCMSBre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

Thank you for your answer,
What do you mean i am not showing a network card, did i use the wrong command? Should ipconfig show network card?
Nothing in my device manager has an exclamation point. At least nothing that is usually shown. When i enable "Show hidden devices" a new section appears, "Non-Plug and Play Drivers", in that section i have an exclamation mark on "JumpStart Wireless Filter Driver". I do not know what that is...
I didn´t have a lack of restore points, i had a dozen of them, it´s just that almost all of them were from the day before, and a couple from 2 days before. The problem was that the one i used the first time was half a month back, the last one on the list. So naturaly it was the first one to dissapear...

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: <--my network card

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.13
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.{AD2CA739-397A-4CE7-9734-209872A086DD}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Compare my ipconfig to yours.  See what I mean?  You show no network card or wireless interface.  You have no network connection.

This could be dues to file system corruption/malware/corrupted driver or the network interface died.

I show restore points going back three months not days. 

Suggestions:

from an administration command prompt type chkdsk /f , answer yes to the question and then reboot so it runs. This will check /correct file corruption

as I asked review the network section [hit the + sign to expand it] to see if your lan card is listed.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 13 March 2016 - 06:54 PM.

#5 MCMSBre

MCMSBre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

That is probably because i don´t have a network connection, it´s not just that i can not connect to internet, i am not receiving any connections, it just says: "No connections are available".
Chkdsk /f has found nothing. I have also done a full scan of my PC (i do this quite recently) no threats were found.
The only network section I have in the Device Manager is Network adapters. When i expand it all i have is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. I have suspected this driver when things first started, but i had no exclamation mark on it. I did update it anyway hoping that it would help, but it did not. Should i have another network section in my Device Manager?

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:41 AM

Nope, no other section. That is your network card but it is not showing up in the ipconfig.

Make sure it is enabled in the bios.  Enabled in network connections [right mouse click to see the option of disable or enable].

When you go to local lan properties do you see the card listed under "connect using..."?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 14 March 2016 - 11:42 AM.

#7 MCMSBre

MCMSBre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:16 PM

I do not know how to enable it in the bios, would you please explain to me how to do that?
It is enabled in the "Network Connections".
In the properties it says: "Connect using: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users