Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank BSOD on Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shawnvw

shawnvw

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:42 AM

I'm trying to boot my Windows 10 laptop from a USB drive.  I get a blank BSOD instead.

Some background: for the last few days my Dell Inspiron N5050 laptop has been making grinding noises (probably a bad fan) and has been extremely slow to boot, or load windows, or login, or to respond to mouse clicks and commands. (Oddly, the mouse movement was unaffected). I tried Safe Mode and Restore Points, but they were also extremely slow, so its hard to tell what was working.

I started booting from the USB drive. From the Windows Install Screen, I chose Startup Repair, but it was still running after an hour later, so I suspected it was still suffering from the "hanging" problem. I booted again, but this time instead of the Installation screen, I get a blue screen with no messages.

If I can't start Windows from the hard drive or a USB drive, what can I do?

Edited by shawnvw, 13 March 2016 - 01:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:19 PM

Hi. . .

It sounds like there may be a problem with the hard drive.

Run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 shawnvw

shawnvw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:29 PM

Geek Squad has informed me that it's probalby an expensive motherboard failure. However, for the benefit of readers who may have similar problems, how do you boot a Windows 10 computer into DOS?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

Depends on what you want to do in DOS.

And it depends on the type of BIOS/UEFI that you have.

And then it depends on how the UEFI is setup.

I presume that you want to boot from the disk to run Seatools for DOS.
If that's the case, first try tapping F12 as you boot.

That should (if you have a BIOS and not a UEFI) let you boot to the Seatools for DOS disk

If you have UEFI, you'd first have to enable legacy/CSM mode and disable Secure Boot.

Then tapping F12 should allow you to boot from the Seatools for DOS disk.

Don't forget to set the UEFI back the way it was after you're done with the test,

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users