Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows not updating

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:24 PM

Since early morning, two different laptop computers with Windows Vista, no progress with Windows Update.

One machine showed several updates available, but after an hour and a half only showed still "Downloading" and "0% Complete".  I became tired of this and closed Windows Update.

I KNOW updates must be available and ready, so am running Windows Update on the other machine, and chose "Check for Updates".   After half an hour, Windows Update is still checking for updates.  

Other kinds of software updates are working well on both machines.  My guess, something is wrong at the other end, not at mine.  Google updates, Norton updates, printer driver updates, no problem.  Not so good for Windows Updates.

I do not myself have a Microsoft Account, otherwise I might try asking on MS Forums.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abhitarp

abhitarp

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:20 AM

Hello...

Just restart both systems. And updates will work fine .

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:27 AM

Hello...

Just restart both systems. And updates will work fine .

That's been tried already.  Same problem.

I am currently trying to turn off the Windows Update Service, but it will not fully stop.  Run --> services --> Windows Update Service, right-click and choose Stop, but machine tells me "could not stop the service" or something like that.  I may try to look at and report the exact message there....

... Now, went through Windows Update and changed settings to Never Check for Updates.  Restarted computer.  Now, I went to services msc again  and rightclicked on Windows Update chose Stop, and this turned OFF the service in that list. 

Other advice about getting Windows Update to work is what I am interested, but I plan to restart computer again and turn the Windows Update Service back ON...

Edited by cafejose, 13 March 2016 - 01:34 AM.

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:02 AM

With the update service OFF, and W.U. set to "never check for updates",  I try running Windows Update manually.  After 20 minutes, still find "Checking for updates..."  and no change from this.

I will turn the update service back ON and change settings to "Check but let me choose...".

Still interested in any useful, realistic advice.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:53 AM

A web/internet search gave a listing:  http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000545.htm

A a visit to that webpage was also mentioned at that page  this address:  http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

I opened Internet Explorer version 9, put in that "windowsupdate..." address.   A very few seconds later, a Windows Update window appeared with a message, "Windows is up to date; there are no updates available for your computer", and showing last installed updates on 3/7/2016.

I do not know if that explains anything nor if something is still wrong.

Edited by cafejose, 13 March 2016 - 03:54 AM.

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:23 PM

Not fixed.  A couple hours later, Windows informed that new updates were available,  Sixteen of them; so I unchecked all but just one of them.  I accepted just the unpdate for IE9 and clicked install.  That one was taken successfully, and I restarted.  After the restart and Windows Update informed of the other updates being available, I clicked to take just three of them  (the Office updates), but after more than an hour, only showed  "0% complete".  So the problem is not fixed.

Interested in any clear advice;meanwhile I will see what can be updated (Windows updates) on the other person's laptop.

#7 paulaugust

paulaugust

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:22 AM

Boot it in proper way make sure that your backup of the software and re check the BIOS setting before you entering into the updating

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:04 AM

Boot it in proper way make sure that your backup of the software and re check the BIOS setting before you entering into the updating

Both affected computers  (if it IS the computers which affected) are 8-year-old laptops and no changes to BIOS have been made to them.  In any case, HOW do I check BIOS?  Really!  Two DIFFERENT laptops, each having a different user.

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:42 AM

I find this information through RUN, msinfo32,

-

BIOS version/date:   TOSHIBA v2.30 , 3/18/2008

SMBIOS version:  2.4

BOOT DEVICE:   \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Operating System version:  6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

-

That is for MY computer; not the other person's.

Does that help?  Other than the difficulties currently with Windows Update, everything seems to operate normally.

Edited by cafejose, 14 March 2016 - 03:43 AM.

#10 abhitarp

abhitarp

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:59 AM

actually the update service is dependent on many other services.
and some update patch are just sequential so it may happen that u have to select its counter part too.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:43 AM

In Services is Bits (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) started?  Something is going on with Microsoft's Update Servers. When I did a clean install  of Windows 7 it took forever to find and install updates. There are numerous threads on the Windows 7 forum about this problem. I thing priority is being given to Windows 10 updates.

Another thing to try is downloading and running the Vista Update Readiness Tool. The link is for 64bit.

#12 abhitarp

abhitarp

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:27 PM

whats ur taking on above comments....topic starter .
plz

#13 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:18 AM

In Services is Bits (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) started?  Something is going on with Microsoft's Update Servers. When I did a clean install  of Windows 7 it took forever to find and install updates. There are numerous threads on the Windows 7 forum about this problem. I thing priority is being given to Windows 10 updates.

Another thing to try is downloading and running the Vista Update Readiness Tool. The link is for 64bit.

whats ur taking on above comments....topic starter .
plz

I have a similar feeling about what JohnC_21 said; that something is stuck at the Microsoft end, and not on my end.  Same trouble for two different laptop computers, both which run on Windows VISTA.  I will not try to upgrade to Windows 7 or 10.  I will buy a new laptop computer with Windows 10 when the right time comes (within one year).

Meanwhile, I have not turned on either laptop yet today to check on the BITS information.

CHECKING On 3/15/2016:

Background Intelligence Transfer Service shown as Started.

Window Update shown as Started

-

Still waiting for the Windows Update notification about available updates - have not started it manually through Control Panel

Edited by cafejose, 15 March 2016 - 10:00 PM.

#14 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 992 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:21 AM

Is the method demonstrated in this video safe to do or unsafe to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-h5CMJp_A

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:45 AM

I don't see a problem with doing it as shown in the video. See this link.

I would also consider using the Vista Update Readiness Tool. If deleting the cache did not help.

As you know Vista will no longer be supported after April of 2017. You may want to look at installing Linux on the computer. A moderator installed Linux on an old XP computer and it runs well. I have Ubuntu dual booting on an old XP computer that's 13 years old and it runs fairly well.

Depending on the specs of the computer you linux should run without any issues and your chances of getting malware will be almost zero compared to Windows. 

I don't know your specs but if you have at least 1GB of RAM then look at the following distros. You do not need to install them to see which you prefer. Both will run off the DVD or USB flash drive. For creating a USB flash drive use Rufus and the iso file.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 LTS  -  17.3 has had some issues.

Ubuntu Desktop 14.04 LTS  -  also used on laptops

Mint Cinnamon 17.2 Video

Ubuntu Video from a Windows User

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 March 2016 - 08:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users