Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 williamparker84

williamparker84

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

Seagate

Barracuda7200.10

360 Gig

when i plug the hard drive up to my computer it shows up in the computer tab but i cant access it. no matter what i try are there any tools that could tell me whats wrong with it  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

Have a look in Disk Management.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Computer Management \ Disk Management.

Does the Drive Show Up in there ? eg: Disk 1 { Disk 0 would be the Operating System }

And displayed as System Healthy ? 

If not you may have to Initilize it first.

What Data is on this Drive you cant access , or is it a new drive or Blank.

Otherwise you can run Speccy from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

And Post the Results - Others can then assist you further.

#3 williamparker84

williamparker84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:23 PM

i guess i should have stated that i had the drive plugged up to a SATA to USB cable and the first thing i did was go to the disc manager.  it shows up there as active.But no matter what i do i cant get into it. it was the main drive in a friends computer and has a lot of pics that he would like to retrieve 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:44 PM

Does the USB adapter also have a power brick to power the driver? On a 2.5 drive you can power the drive with only the USB adapter but a 3.5 drive needs the power brick.

Is the drive listed as RAW in Disk Management? Probably not if the drive is listed as active in disk management.

You may be able to pull the data using a live linux disk vs Windows. PartedMagic is good for this. You can download the iso here. Follow this guide.

When you say you cannot access it, are you saying Windows gives an access denied error when attempting to copy files?

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:49 AM

i agree with JohnC _21  , pulling the Data off using a Live Linux Distro and Booted from main PC , should work , apart from the Drive being faulty then maybe not.

Some data should be visible if the drive is ok , but User data may be locked { Booting Linux can can bypass this }.

Have you tried installing the drive directly to the Main PC internally if cabling is available.

If you still cant pull anything from the drive , you can then start to check the drive for faults or errors , Visit Seagate Website , and use the Tools they provide firstly , there are others around that may also help and JohnC_21 may recommend if needed.

And then try again if any issues were found and corrected.

Edited by Havachat, 16 March 2016 - 02:56 AM.

#6 williamparker84

williamparker84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

I downloaded all kinds of tools for checking the drive and nothing comes up. i finally told him to take it to a shop and see what they can do. Thanks for the help anyway but if the shop can pull the data i told him to tellme what was wrong and hoe they got the data  and i'l post the info

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:52 AM

I downloaded all kinds of tools for checking the drive and nothing comes up. i finally told him to take it to a shop and see what they can do. Thanks for the help anyway but if the shop can pull the data i told him to tellme what was wrong and hoe they got the data  and i'l post the info

So did the Scans say the Drive was OK ? Otherwise if not then theres the problem.

Let us know the results from the Shop attempting to retrieve Data or Repairing the Drive { If it was Possible }.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users