Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Help - Corrupt File on WHS11

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bobp7

bobp7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

Hello all.

I have an Excel file which when opened gives an error message saying it can't be opened as it may be corrupt.

I've tried renaming the file & restoring a previous version of it but still get the same error, along with trying to open it with OpenOffice. All my other Excel files are fine. I've tried lots of free software to try & recover the data but no luck. The file size is also showing as 0kb which is worrying.

The file resides on a server running Windows Home Server 2011.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:25 PM

"The file size is also showing as 0kb"

Doesn't sound like the file saved correctly.  There is nothing to recover there.

You may try a file recovery software on the pc that wrote the file originally in the hope a temp file was made.

#3 eddiek989

eddiek989

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:26 PM

The fact that WHS11 says it's 0KB then most probably it is but it never hurts to try and recover the file. try restoring it from earlier backup images if you have backup setup, look into the shadow copy of the file, try opening the file on another computer and your last resort would be trying to check the excel temp folder on the computer that this file was created on originally and any other computers that have accessed the file or edited it like @Wand3r3r has mentioned earlier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users