Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2007 custom built computer dosent boot sometimes a

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

hello I have a custom built computer built on 2007 and I suspect a failing OSU but there aren't enough reasons for it, heres what happened...   4 weeks ago my grub failed to boot because I partitioned my had, took me 3 days to fix, when I got it fixed I noticed my computer slower than usual (despite a core 2 duo clocked @3.0GHZ )old but fast, so I reinstalled  windows, this is were one problem  starts I got like 3 BSODS per day after 1 week I got really bothered I rested my computer again, then after that 3 days ago I was having problems with windows this time EXPLORER.EXE was failing or desktop, some way or another I got into control panel and used system restore, my computer restarted and there was a dialog saying system restore failed but at least fixed my desktop and now my computer sometimes wont power on lets say like if I unplug it from the wall and the next day plug it back it just powers on but sends no signal to display I shut it down and power it on again, the 2nd time you power it on you can hear the disk reader rebooting again and again this is where my failing psu theory comes since its connected directly to the psu (obviously) but all the fans in my system are connected directly to the pus and just keep going without a twitch so I'm not sure what is going on with my system, I will only upload pictures if requested I can't upload videos because my upload  speed is .06MB/Sec or .6Mb/Sec and videos usually weight 200 MB, it only takes a few restarts to power on and get signal but this is bothering me, any ideas, one more thing my computer doesn't have imbuing speaker for errors so I can't hear any beep codes.

Don't even think about it if your not sure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

Anybody?

#3 bc0306

bc0306
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:49 PM

Computer specs:

Asus P5N-E-SLI Motherboard

2x Gamer grade Ram with heat sink

1x Kingston Ram

Intel Core 2 duo E8400

2x unknown disk readers

1x card and floppy disk reader combo

1x GT 730 Gigabyte gpu

4gb sys ram

3.0ghz clocked CPU

1x 300GB WD HDD

PP500 power supply unit

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:23 PM

What bsod is it? I'm getting a little confused because your first post because it is one giant run on sentence... but from what I do understand it sounds like your psu is failing.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 bc0306

bc0306
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

I don't even remember what bsod I was having but its gone, I was gonna use my computer but it wouldn't power so I decided to troubleshoot, first I took out a old modem card and that made it work, but when I unplugged my computer and plugged it back the same happened it wouldn't boot up, then I inserted the card back and it booted up now I'm not even disconnecting my computer since I fear it may fail

#6 bc0306

bc0306
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:50 PM

I have some fans connected to psu and they aren't powering off or anything, maybe the motherboard?

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

I have run across this a few times and it turned out to be the power supply.  The 12 volts runs the fans, the five volts is the logic and that's the part that failed.  The problem didn't exist until the "dead" power switch on the front panel, run by 5 volts that doesn't turn off when you shut down, only when you pull the plug. 

#8 bc0306

bc0306
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:26 PM

So why when it does boot it doesn't turn off and the performance doesn't seem affected,

Are you sure? I don't want to buy it and having it not be the problem (already happened to me)

#9 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:48 PM

Well, the bios is handled mostly by the motherboard, while the cpu which is on your five volt rail does little and draws little power, but when you boot into windows the cpu has to work hard and it can't get enough power and your system restarts. That is my best guess.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 bc0306

bc0306
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:05 PM

System is not restarting, the problem is that whenever I leave the computer off for a long time (usually 5+ hours) it does power on, but I get no signal on screen, all fans running, except I hear my DVD reader power on again as if it was losing power (it always makes like a disk scratching sound when it powers on) and I keep hearing that sound, CPU receives 1.4-1.6 Volts of power, its supposed to get 1.5 Volts. And yes its overclocked by 20%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users