Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using PC with Windows XP OS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Julie 1960

Julie 1960

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hi!  Can someone please tell me if it would be safe to use a PC with XP for posting listings on eBay?  My regular PC is in the shop, and this is a free listing weekend.  I just don't want to take chances of having the PC hacked into or get a virus, etc. by using this old PC to list.  Any advice is appreciated.  TY!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

To put it simply, Windows XP isn't safe anymore if you use it while being connected to the Internet, period. As long as you stay offline, and don't plug anything from the exterior (like USB Flash Drives) on it, it'll be good. Otherwise, as soon as you get online, your system is at risk of being infected and targetted by advanced attacks.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Julie 1960

Julie 1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:00 PM

To put it simply, Windows XP isn't safe anymore if you use it while being connected to the Internet, period. As long as you stay offline, and don't plug anything from the exterior (like USB Flash Drives) on it, it'll be good. Otherwise, as soon as you get online, your system is at risk of being infected and targetted by advanced attacks.

Thank you Aura for replying.  That's what I was afraid of...  I tried making an LXLE OS DVD.  I was using it "live", but there are some bugs with it, and I'm not that tech savvy to figure everything out.  I'd like to install it to have dual drives, but from what I've read online, I need to do a bunch of back-up and clean up, etc on the XP OS first.  Again, I'm not that savvy, plus, it's going to take more time than I'm willing to put in this weekend.  TY again.. enjoy your weekend.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:50 AM

No problem Julie, you're welcome :) And you could use Tails OS instead.

https://tails.boum.org/

Lightweight bootable Linux distro focussed on privacy and anonymity.

Edited by Aura, 14 March 2016 - 06:50 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users