Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchpad Software Hell

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

I "upgraded" my Windows 10 to 7.  Everything went fine except for one thing...the touchpad.  It was whacky before I started, way overly sensitive, grabbing onto links as I passed over them, opening up pages, etc.  In my photo editing program, it grabs my menu bar an pulls it off that upper ledge.  It's a total pain.  Elan.  The adjustments for it were minimal.  I have another computer with Synaptics and I can turn off scrolling, tapping, etc.  Basically what I want is a nearly dead touch pad, one that won't open pages or do anything unless I click on it to do so.

I am finding it nearly impossible to use the computer (Toshiba laptop) as it now is.  The shop suggested I try downloading other drivers.  There are a few listed on the Toshiba driver page, for Windows 7.  I need the touchpad because I sometimes use my laptop while sitting on a couch.  I tried plugging in a mouse and disabling the touchpad but it didn't disable the touchpad.

I tried downloading the driver for the touchpad by first of all downloading it and then clicking on it.  That's the the tech told me to do.  I got an error msg stating that the installation failed, but the updates were accepted.  Do I need to uninstall the previous driver first?  I'm hoping to get software that will let me desensitize the touchpad (while typing I hover over the pad and occasionally touch it and it repositions the pointer.  Actually, I do it a lot and it's a real pain) and turn off all those features like scrolling, tapping, etc.

If Elan was originally installed, do I have to only use Elan drivers?  I (obviously) have no idea how this hardware works.  Or doesn't.

Any suggestions (except going back to W10)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

This is for Windows 8 but you should have similar settings if using a synaptics touchpad.

https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD3101Z30000R01.htm

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:52 PM

No I don't.  I'm sorry that I wasn't clear on this.  The software is Elan.  As I said, I have another computer with Synaptics and I had a bear of a time to slow down but I did get it to where I want.  Thanks.  I can't even find a menu to adjust settings for the touchpad.  That seems to be the problem.  thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

When you open mouse settings in Control Panel is there an Elan tab along with an options button? When you click the options button are three tabs listed? In Device Manager what driver version is listed for the Elan touchpad?

#5 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

No there isn't.  There are three TABS for the mouse only, and very little I can do with that other than update drivers.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:43 PM

What version of the Elan driver do you have. You should be able to find it under Device Manager. Right Click the Touchpad and select Properties. It will be under the driver tab.

#7 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:54 PM

If the touch-pad is listed in device manager along with the mouse, it's not there.  That's what I'm trying to tell you.  I cannot find controls for the touch-pad on this computer.  On another laptop I have, I find a multi-tab menu for the Synaptics touch-pad, including some means of controlling some of the actions.  However, on the laptop in question, all that is listed under device manager is two mice, probably the stock one and a wireless one I use.  I am noticing that other system functions do not work.  For instance, there is an F button to turn off the touch pad.  That does not work.  I tried doing a screen print of the device manager to show you, but that doesn't work either.  I am wondering if there are some drivers still missing.

Can I install either Elan or Synaptics, or am I required to use only one?  A techie suggested I try both.  I know when this computer was W10, it had Elan touch pad installed.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:29 PM

I am assuming your Toshiba is the S55-C5274 from your other thread. If a different model please post.  According to the support site for the S55-C5174 both Elan and Synaptics drivers are listed. 

I would try installing the Synaptics driver here. Only install if the above model number is correct.

If that fails then reinstall this Elan driver.

#9 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

It is not a driver problem.
Restore BIOS default settings and if that does not help, create a new user account, log in with this new user account and if it works, the bad is in your user settings. If that does not work, the problem is somewhere else but not the driver.
I had similar problem couple months ago. 
Good luck!

#10 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:41 AM

This is all beyond my capabilities, delving into the BIOS.  However, since I had a shop do this, when I take it in today I will relay this information.  They have been emailing me and telling me how to fix it but I am unclear on how to reinstall the driver for the mouse/touch-pad.  If I uninstall the drivers, how do I navigate on the computer?  I know this is a dumb newbie question but I recall some time ago doing this and I don't recall how I eventually moved off the screen.  I tried to install a driver as per his suggestions.  I downloaded it and clicked on it to install.  Perhaps I should have uninstalled the old one first?  If so, I am guessing the technician erroneously thought I would know to do that.

They also have to install another driver they missed as well.  Let's say down the road I have to reinstall Windows to restore the function buttons. 

Will I have to go through this again?  When I was poking around in my Toshiba S55-C5274 (yes, John_C21, you figured correctly on my model) I saw a folder named Toshiba Drivers.  Are all the drivers I need stored in one location and if so, will I be able to copy and use them for reinstall?

Thanks.

When this issue is resolved, I will post the results.

I am relieved to [hopefully] have Windows 10 behind me.

Edited by LittleGreenDots, 14 March 2016 - 03:51 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

When uninstalling the touchpad drivers you can attach a USB mouse and it will still be detected.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:13 AM

The old drivers should have been uninstalled first.

You have a Toshiba. It should have a recovery partition which can be used to re-install Windows. When using the recovery partition down the road, all drivers will automatically be installed when you re-install Windows.

Assuming you have not taken the system to the shop, try this:

Plug in your USB mouse. You might need to use it for a few minutes.

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management.

Open Device Manager from the left side of the page.

Expand Mice and other pointing devices.

Highlight the touchpad entry, right click, choose Uninstall.

Check the box to delete the drivers.

After uninstalling, reboot and go to your desktop.

You will be notified that Windows has found new hardware and installing it via a small notification in the system tray. It will also tell you when the install is complete (or if something went wrong and it could not be installed).

After the hardware is found, you can install the Elan touchpad driver from here http://support.toshiba.com/support/driversResults?freeText=1200010656

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users