Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't delete folder

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ivanhoe76

Ivanhoe76

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:09 PM

I have a very strange problem with Windows 10.

I have an empty folder showing in "users/(my section)/downloads", left from a download which I never installed and subsequently deleted.

The problem is that when I try to delete the empty folder Windows says that it is no longer in the position shown, and I should find it's new location. The folder icon is showing in the specified directory, and a search for the folder name just brings up this one, but Windows says it's not there!

Ok, it's causing no problems, but it's damned annoying! any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hi,

First run a Disk Check...
  • Press windows8_key.png + X and click Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    type:
    chkdsk /f /x C:
    Note: When it ask if you want to checked the volume next time the system restarts answer Yes
  • Restart the computer and let the scan ran during next boot
Try to delete the folder.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Ivanhoe76

Ivanhoe76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

Hi, thanks for your swift reply, I tried as suggested, restarted to run the scan, but unfortunately without result, still can't delete the folder,

I tried to add screengrabs of the two different error messages I'm getting (Different if I use shift/delete) to this post, but I keep being told I can't use any of the file extensions I use for images (?), if it helps at all "shift/delete" gives me "Ox80004005  Unspecified error" delete alone (right mouse) just says it can't find the file.

Thank you

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

When I run into this kind of thing, I boot Linux Mint and it promptly deletes whatever I tell it to.  If you don't have it, you can download it from here: https://linuxmint.com/download.php .  If you burn the downloaded ISO file to a DVD and boot from it, you can be up and running with it in under 4 minutes without having to install anything on your hard drive.  It has a user interface similar to Windows so you don't have any learning about Linux to deal with.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

Try to remove the folder using the Command Prompt

- open the Downloads folder

- hold the Shift key and right click on a empty space inside the folder

- on the Context menu click Open command window here

- type the command dir /x /p

- the list of files will have two columns the first with short names (ending with ~) and the second with the full name you see in Windows Explorer

- take note of the short name of the folder to delete

- delete the folder by typing:

rmdir folder~1

Note: Replace folder~1 with the correct name

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

Of course, there are many options for getting rid of this folder, but it is not the solution.
This folder simply disappear from your sight, but actually did not change anything.
Your Windows is  damaged and you must find the cause. 
PS. Any defects do not heal themselves, but only creates new ones. 

#7 Ivanhoe76

Ivanhoe76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:23 PM

Try to remove the folder using the Command Prompt

- open the Downloads folder

- hold the Shift key and right click on a empty space inside the folder

- on the Context menu click Open command window here

- type the command dir /x /p

- the list of files will have two columns the first with short names (ending with ~) and the second with the full name you see in Windows Explorer

- take note of the short name of the folder to delete

- delete the folder by typing:

rmdir folder~1

Note: Replace folder~1 with the correct name

This is getting stranger by the minute! when I tried your advice it said it couldn't delete the folder because it wasn't empty! so, tried to open it to see and was told again that the folder doesn't exist!  I know Windows 10 still has massive bugs, but this is just getting silly!

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

Have you reboot and checked to see if the folder is still there?  This kind of thing happens in Windows and a simple reboot is all it takes to solve the issue.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:43 PM

Install EVERYTHING

once installed allow it to scan (it is very quick)

then type in the name of the folder

1.Does it recognize it ?

2. If you right click on it and select delete....what is the outcome ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:03 PM

Have you tried Linux Mint like I mentioned in #4?  That always works for me.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:57 AM

Hi,

This is getting stranger by the minute! when I tried your advice it said it couldn't delete the folder because it wasn't empty! so, tried to open it to see and was told again that the folder doesn't exist!  I know Windows 10 still has massive bugs, but this is just getting silly!

Maybe the folder have some hidden files.

Force rmdir to delete the folder including any files by typing:

rmdir /S /Q folder~1

___
Rui

#12 Ivanhoe76

Ivanhoe76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:26 AM

Which version of Mint allows you to run from DVD?, all I see there are installation DVDs, and I do NOT want it attempting to install!

#13 Ivanhoe76

Ivanhoe76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

Hi,

Maybe the folder have some hidden files.

Force rmdir to delete the folder including any files by typing:

rmdir /S /Q folder~1

Yayyy! it worked, FINALLY the thing has gone!  I have just about forgotten all DOS commands, so I am VERY grateful to you, and to everyone else who tried to help me solve this VERY annoying problem.

There is no doubt that this is THE place to get the most obscure Windows problems solved, thank Goodness for experts who are prepared to help us amateurs out!

Thanks again!

#14 Ivanhoe76

Ivanhoe76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:57 AM

Which version of Mint allows you to run from DVD?, all I see there are installation DVDs, and I do NOT want it attempting to install!

Although my problem is solved now, I'd still be interested in your answer to this if you would be so kind?

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

Yayyy! it worked, FINALLY the thing has gone!  I have just about forgotten all DOS commands, so I am VERY grateful to you, and to everyone else who tried to help me solve this VERY annoying problem.

There is no doubt that this is THE place to get the most obscure Windows problems solved, thank Goodness for experts who are prepared to help us amateurs out!

Thanks again!

Good. :thumbup2:

You are welcome.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users