Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash Player Alternatives?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:38 AM

Have read many articles about Adobe Flash Player and vulnerabilities. The latest article is of real concern.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/again-adobe-flash-vulnerability-lets-hackers-over-pc-162951597.html

I have an updated version installed and Hoping that it is secure. BC, has in the past, recommended uninstalling Flash. Certainly can understand that but what are the alternatives? Uninstalling and installing as needed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:12 AM

As far as I know, there's no real alternatives to Adobe Flash Player on the user's end. Because there isn't another program or plugin that can be ran to read Flash content, other than Adobe Flash Player. There is alternatives for developers however, like Silverlight, but not the user.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,657 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:24 AM

Even if kept updated it dosnt take long before a new vulnerability is found and exploited. Short of uninstalling it you might be able to- depending on your browser allow it on a site per site basis or use a add on to toggle it off/on as needed. You could also a script blocker like NoScript to control flash.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

As far as I know, there's no real alternatives to Adobe Flash Player on the user's end. Because there isn't another program or plugin that can be ran to read Flash content, other than Adobe Flash Player. There is alternatives for developers however, like Silverlight, but not the user.

not for too much longer though, htlml5 is becoming a standard and is slowly replacing flash. In about two years flash will be on its last legs. Even adobe has kind of given up on flash, sure html5 hasn't fully replaced flash yet but will very soon

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:04 PM

Yes, this is an alternative on the developer's side. It doesn't mean that HTML5 can read Flash content.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:45 PM

It technically can, mozillas shumway project is trying to achieve that very goal and adobe has helped with it.

Plus there are googles html5 efforts.

Microsoft also is developing a in house flash alternative so all fronts are pretty much covered.

And considering how involved adobe is in HTML5 development means flashs days are numbered.

Edited by MadmanRB, 12 March 2016 - 05:48 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Yes, I did some in-depth research after HTML5 was mentioned. However, at this time, it appears to be a work in progress as MadmanRB has stated. So, will do everything on my end for security.........Hope Adobe does as well.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

Yeah but its progressed wonderfully, HTML5 could become the universal plugin in two years as its already fulfilling its promises.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

HTML5 isn't a plugin though. Hence why I say that you cannot read Adobe Flash Player content, without Adobe Flash Player.

unite_blue.png

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

True but they can be used as a workaround as what Shumway is trying to do

Proud Vivaldi user.