Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Windows 10 Sporatic Freezes Never Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ChazInMT

ChazInMT

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:05 AM

* Edit* Just read the subject line and realized it doesn't make sense with regard to "Never Shuts Down" meant to say it glitches but does not crash to where It shuts itself off or I need to restart it. Never shuts down....yeah, it's powered with a thorium source and it's gonna run forever.....they'll marvel at it in 3,000 years in the Smithsonian saying, "And to think it used to glitch!" *End Edit*

Well I have been trying a bunch of stuff to eliminate a problem on my laptop, I could go on and on about all the crap I've tried, but none of it has helped. 

Maybe I'm some sort of idiot savant, but when it comes to doing searches, I can't seem to find a tool that allows me to monitor the computer and report back what is running when the computer freezes.

I see the CPU % Surge up in task manager and other monitors, but because it is froze up, I can't see which process/program is hogging everything up.

The computer will run great for 5 to 20 minutes then it just sort of freezes up, the mouse will etch about a bit if moved, but not predictably, then after 1 to 3 minutes, it's back to normal, till it isn't again.  

I think if I can see what process/program correlates to the freeze I can go from there.

I've gotten Advanced SystemCare and let it do its thing, and have put Malwarebytes (only one trojan file thing found) through its paces, I have checked problem reports and found nuttin. ASC found a ton of things that got cleaned up, but glitch is still occuring. ASC assures me my system is A-OK though. (losing faith in that program quickly)

Oh, and get this, the little "EKG" graph in task monitor showing CPU % flies along, but when the glitch happens, it freezes up too making it look like the glitch only lasted 10 seconds, not 1 - 3 minutes.

RuntimeBroker seemed sketchy to me because it had a bunch of I/O Reads & Writes, but everything I've tried to eliminate its issues have not stopped the freezes, and the RTB I/O Readin & Written spikes don't correlate to the glitches....sooooo

I just went on & on didn't I :crazy: .

Question >>>  Is there a program or utility thing I can run in the background on the computer to see what is running when the glitch's/freezes/seizures occur so we can narrow down the search for a solution to  maybe 3 or 4 things instead of 7 or 8 million bazillion :bananas: ?

Thanks for reading this!!!! I hope you can help, looking forward to a reply. Pax, Charlie.

Edited by ChazInMT, 12 March 2016 - 03:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:12 AM

I am no expert so I hope you get help from someone who is, however I have just started trying the following two programs from the same developer Resplendence. They are fairly self-evident from their names:

Why So Slow --- monitors / reports / warns on several key items such as CPU usage, temperature; Hard pagefaults, etc. (I have learned I have a temperature issue with my tablet; in Beta until end of the mont some some features not functional yet, but still quite informative)

Who Crashed --- stays quiet until there is a crash, then analyses it and advises what to do (I have not had a crash since I installed it yesterday so cant evaluate it yet)

There are free as well as paid for versions, I use the the free ones.

http://www.resplendence.com

#3 ChazInMT

ChazInMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:19 PM

I tried Who Crashed. It seems like it will monitor when my system completely crashes, but does not pick up on the seizures that only freeze it for a few moments.

Does no one know of a software that monitors the system, see's when it freezes up, then tells me what caused it? Or how to configure my existing tools to identify the issue?

I can't believe I'm the first person to think of a tool like this. 

#4 ChazInMT

ChazInMT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

System Interrupts - "System interrupts Deferred procedure calls and interrupt service routines" is the process that leaps to the top of the task manager when the computer glitches. So at least we know now what is causing the issue. I'll search it and hopefully find a solution.

#5 abhitarp

abhitarp

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:09 AM

Think of choosing right operating system to work on your system so

that it recognizes the necessary functions for working of your system.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

Most troubleshooting is looking at clues, rather than at reports that state "this is the problem"

As such, let's start by having a look at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Based on the reports, there's several different directions for us to take - so let's see what  they say and we'll move on from there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 fourputt

fourputt

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:17 AM

I'm no expert..but I had sporadic freezing after upgrading to win 10 especially on Microsoft Solitaire..my browser was Firefox...I uninstalled Firefox and downloaded Google Chrome...everything worked OK after that...I did do all the normal things ..clearing cache etc..but it did not help until I changed browsers..this may have nothing to do with freezing problem ..but as I said I'm no expert but it worked for me

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

That's the benefit of the online forums - everyone has a say, and the OP (original poster) can choose from all the posts.

We encourage all discussion that constructively relates to possible fixes.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users