Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viewsonic Monitor VA2037a with Unexplainable splotches or clouds.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ScorpioMaurus

ScorpioMaurus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:50 AM

Hello anyone, I have a Viewsonic VA2037a LED monitor, I've had it for almost 2 years and it is suffering from some odd splotches. It started about 8 months ago as one oily looking splotch in the lower left corner, At first I thought some food must've splashed on it so I cleaned it with a gentle alcohol based cleaner and that did nothing. I stopped eating anything at my computer that can splash but the problem has continued to get worse, It almost looks like it was exposed to high humidity that got under the screen but I keep my house very controlled (Temp and Humidity due to asthma) It is especially bad when the screen is primarily white (E.G. Exploring Far Cry 4's mountains or using Facebook etc.)

Whatever the problem it isn't fixed by cleaning the screen and I'm wondering if anyone has a clue what I should do. I built my PC's tower so I'm skilled enough to take the monitor apart if I need to but I would love to know anyone's thoughts on what may be causing this so I can avoid it in the future. I Googled Viewsonic Splotchy, cloudy, discoloration etc and found nothing like my problem, Most were dead pixels etc.

Here are some pics of what I see:

WP_20160311_23_19_17_Pro_zpszwnvvbwe.jpg

WP_20160311_23_18_33_Pro_zpsn7to3ddv.jpg

And here's one with the contrast and brightness adjusted to clarify the issue:

Photshopped_zpsb2ezkc1z.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:42 AM

I think it will be an issue with some aspect of environment interacting with the layers of the screen, whereby the outer polarizer sheet only partially seats down onto the panel surface beneath. The effect is similar to film tint on glass where the trapped air bubbles haven't squeezed out completely. Some panel designs seem more prone to such a problem. I've seen some at my work where tiny insects worked their way in between the layers. We'd hope it shouldn't be possible for such to occur, but it can, see what seems to be similar in this topic:

https://nanchatte.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/imac-27-screen-displays-dark-stains-patches/

As for what can be done about it, I have no clear answer, despite being a monitor repair tech. Problems regarding the internal structure of LCD panels are usually reverted to the manufacturers to sort out.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:11 AM

The VA2037a is not an expensive monitor, so getting someone to repair it (whatever the fault) is not likely to be financially viable unless it's still under warranty - it would probably not even be financially viable to buy your own parts & do the repair yourself. Your options appear to be:-

a) Ignore the problem

b] Dive in, dismantle it & see if you can find a repairable problem not requiring expensive parts & if you destroy the monitor in the process then move on to option c

c) Replace the monitor

Edited by rqt, 12 March 2016 - 04:13 AM.

#4 ScorpioMaurus

ScorpioMaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:18 AM

@rqt I've tried to ignore it for 8 months and it's giving me migraines almost daily so it looks like I'll be replacing it, I work at my computer so I spend from 9am till 1am on it most days :( My last monitor wasn't expensive either (an HP FP7317) and it lasted for 14 years with no issues at all, Very disappointing and sadly no not under warranty anymore. Once I get my new monitor an ASUS VS278Q-P (With 3 Year Warranty) I'll definitely try to dismantle this one and see it I can find the issue.

@Platypus I do figure that's sort of the issue, That somehow air or moisture has gotten in there. That link's photos do look exactly like mine. I suppose if a repair tech can't explain the exact cause or how to fix it it's unlikely I'll ever find out exactly what was happening. Thank you for your time though :)

Edited by ScorpioMaurus, 12 March 2016 - 11:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users