Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway 700gr video card upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Erabbit777

Erabbit777

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:05 AM

Hello bleeping computer, new member here. I'm trying to play my old flight Sims (USAF, F/A-18, flight sim X) but those games don't like to run on my Windows 8 Lenovo Y50.
I have a gateway 700GR with Windows XP it has a P4 3.4ghz, 1gb RAM And a 128 MB radeon video card.
I'd like to upgrade the video card to something with an HDMI out and maybe 256mb. If possible I would like to keep the power source. I'm also open to running the games on Windows 8 if there's a way. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

those games don't like to run on my Windows 8 Lenovo Y50.

Before we go out and buy a bunch of components, I want to ask if you have tried running the games in compatibility mode for windows XP?

Here's how to enable compatibility mode on a program:
Navigate to the program's location, or locate a shortcut that points to the program. Right-click on the icon and select "properties".
A window with several 'tabs' should pop up. Click on the "Compatibility" tab.
Under the section marked "compatibility mode", check the box that reads "run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP" from the drop down menu.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Erabbit777

Erabbit777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

those games don't like to run on my Windows 8 Lenovo Y50.

Before we go out and buy a bunch of components, I want to ask if you have tried running the games in compatibility mode for windows XP?

Here's how to enable compatibility mode on a program:
Navigate to the program's location, or locate a shortcut that points to the program. Right-click on the icon and select "properties".
A window with several 'tabs' should pop up. Click on the "Compatibility" tab.
Under the section marked "compatibility mode", check the box that reads "run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP" from the drop down menu.

Thanks for responding!

I had not tried, or knew about compatibility mode. After following the steps you mentioned none of the games work. I also tried windows 98/ME and it didn't work either. Flight Sim X gives me the same message "Error=25 (Null)" that I was getting before.

I heard about a program called DOSbox I might give that a try.

Any other suggestions?

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

I have heard a fair bit about DOSBox, but I'm not personally familiar with it so I can't say whether or not it would work.

Is Flight Sim X and installed title? If so, try installing under compatibility mode then running it under compatibility mode.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#5 Erabbit777

Erabbit777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:37 PM

I have heard a fair bit about DOSBox, but I'm not personally familiar with it so I can't say whether or not it would work.

Is Flight Sim X and installed title? If so, try installing under compatibility mode then running it under compatibility mode.

All 3 games are installed. I will try doing what you mentioned when I get a chance. I will also mess with Dosbox and post the results

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users