Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

re: octoshape apps & direcTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 aklex

aklex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:25 PM

My whole system (windows 8 64 bit) has been running annoyingly slow lately and tonight I got frustrated and decided something was obviously going on.  I am referencing the post that has been addressed in another post regarding the same or similar issue.  I came across it because I was trying to be diligent in what I'm removing or unnecessarily keeping.  I have 2 boys that just think they can go about downloading everything under the sun.  They have learned but sometimes, things "linger."  I have been noticing that system processes are so slow, that it may be up to a minute before something happens after entering data or trying to even navigate to what I'm wanting to do on the computer, it doesn't have to be involving internet tasks.  It can be system tasks, like accessing data files that have been saved or getting to legitimate programs.

So as I'm reviewing the software list, "octoshape apps" catches my attention because it seems innocuous since the actual program says is titles HD Video Player and at first, it looks like it might be a video player and typical.  Then I'm realizing that's not the video player I use regularly or by default.  So I do some investigating and on another forum, someone mentioned that DirecTV player (to watch movies on the PC) was installed on that same day as the software from Octoshape apps.  I go back to my program page and check, and sure enough, it was downloaded on the same date and time.  I now know the culprit is me, not the boys.  I downloaded this software as required by DirecTV so I could watch a movie.  Now I'm reading that octoshapes is an .exe file and possibly a trojan horse.  So I guess DirecTV movies over PC will just not ever be reality.  It's just not worth the risk to watch a movie on occasion if, particularly if it's something that might be more predatory.  Companies can be unscrupulous and that's just how life goes. It does keep you on your toes. I removed that.  I also wanted to add to the referenced post as to possible origins of where this software developed, so that others in same or similar situations might be more informed to take what actions they think is appropriate.  There is a lot of system lag apparently involved following an install and others have noted "bandwidth issues," which suggests that possibly they are simply trying to get online and not realizing it may not only be bandwidth but the OS.  It's a software that runs in the background and it's pretty much "invisible" upon windows sys start up and, to me, that seems pretty unnecessary for a media player to actually need to do that at all, especially one that is very specific to one website and account in order to watch movies.  I don't have issues with other reputable video streaming companies and have never had to download any specific software in order to watch a movie. Only DirecTV requires a "special media player" in order to watch their movies.  

So, my question is what else should I check for, if necessary, to ensure that this program and affiliated software is completely removed?  I am pretty diligent about other areas of my system that contain sensitive information. It seems like things are working a lot better now since removing the questionable software.  I was deleting other software before this caught my attention and it was like cutting through frozen butter with a cold knife on an iceberg...After removal, uninstalling other unnecessary, questionable, or just plain nonsensical programs of similar data size was about 200% faster and took no time at all.  Also the other referenced post mentions uTorrent being installed on their computer as well. I am pretty sure we don't typically use this program.  My husband might have downloaded this program back in the dino era, but we don't use it.  Is there any concern about this particular software or program that I should be aware of? When I delete this program, is it necessary to look for the "lingering" software or information to make sure these gremlins are out of my life forever?

Thanks in advance.  I really appreciate.  I will patiently await a response.  I'm sure I can keep myself occupied in the meanwhile.  Kindest Regard

Link REF: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581877/slow-internet-when-pc-is-on/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

Hello, my name is Bezukhov, and I'll be assisting you with this problem.

Some ground rules first:

Thank you for your patience. Before we get to work here are a few things to keep in mind:
  • Please do not run any tools on your own while we solve this. Some are rather powerful, and using one at the wrong moment can have catastrophic effects. Also please refrain from seeking help for this problem elsewhere. Too many cooks spoils the broth.
  • Next, it is important that the instructions given be performed in the order given. We may need one tool to finish its job before another one starts.
  • If at any time my instructions are not clear stop and ask for clarification.
  • Rather than attach any logs to your post it is better that you copy and paste them instead, except if instructed otherwise.
  • Any program that I ask you run should only be run once.
  • As soon as your computer is clean I will let you know.
  • Please try to complete any tasks and reply in 24 hours. I will try to do likewise.
  • If you have any pirated software on your system I must ask that you remove them. No need for you to tell me if you do. Many times such programs are the source of many an infection, which makes cleaning a sick computer just that more difficult. And it's also against BleepingComputer's rules.
  • Lastly, do not make any changes to your computer from here on out until you get an "All Clear from me.
Yes, your comments about uTorrent are spot on. That can also be said about Octoshape, which uses the same Peer to Peer networking. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a wide variety of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across Peer to Peer (P2P) file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. So that was very astute of you to recognize this Octoshape as a problem. If you want to know why take a look at this paragraph from the Octoshape EULA:

5.2. Use of Your Equipment: The Internet Media Distribution Software may use the processing capabilities, memory and bandwidth of the computer (or other applicable device) you are using, for the limited purpose of facilitating the media distribution and establishing the connection between Internet Media Distribution Software users. If your use of the Internet Media Distribution Software is dependent upon the use of a processor and bandwidth owned or controlled by a third party, you acknowledge and agree that your license to use the Internet Media Distribution Software is subject to you obtaining consent from the relevant third party for such use. You represent and warrant that by accepting these Terms, you have obtained such consent.

Small wonder why your computer is slow when this program is eating up your computer's resources.

To see what's going on we will need to run a scan.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system, download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Right-click FRST then click "Run as administrator" (XP users: click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • When the tool opens, click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When finished, it will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool was run from.
  • Please copy and paste the log in your next reply.
Note 2: The first time the tool is run it generates another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory the tool was run from). Please also paste that, along with the FRST.txt into your next reply.

Any problems with that scan, let me know.

Edited by Bezukhov, 12 March 2016 - 07:57 AM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:35 AM

Do you still want help with this?
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#4 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users