Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"How existing Windows users can refuse Microsoft's Windows 10 update", ZDNet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

Over the past week, I've noticed a number of users complaining on Twitter, Reddit and other social channels about their PCs automatically updating to Windows 10, allegedly without their intervention.

At least some of the grumbling may be attributable to a patch Microsoft pushed to a number of users this week as part of Patch Tuesday (KB3146449, which is buried inside Internet Explorer security patch KB3139929) which "adds functionality to Internet Explorer 11 on some computers that lets users learn about Windows 10 or start an upgrade to Windows 10." (This update seems only to create a "Get Windows 10" banner, and clicking the cancel button on it seems to remove it permanently, from what I can tell.)

But the growing amount of noise got me curious if there was more going on, beyond yet another new piece of Microsoft nagware.

Article: http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-existing-windows-users-can-refuse-microsofts-windows-10-update/

Welp.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:57 PM

The update is now coming through Windows Update as a Recommended update.  This means that if you have your settings for automatic install, it will do the upgrade without notice.  That's what happened to me yesterday.  I have now changed my settings to let me decide what to update, gone back to Windows Update, and seen this update there with the box next to it checked.  This isn't something I heard about, read about, or heard on the media, it happened on my Windows 7 Pro desktop this week.  I've now unchecked the box and marked the update hidden, but like KB3035583, it will likely come back in a month or two anyway.  

Bottom line:  If you have 7 or 8.1 and have Windows Update options set for automatic install, you'll be upgraded without asking you anything except to ACCEPT the terms AFTER the upgrade.  

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

OR you can simply update the GWX Control Panel to the latest version, that update has not shown up on my list whatsoever now either. Cant even find it in the updates installed list either.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users